Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,432   Online: 789

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Is this Minolta Worth it?

A good friend of mine popped in yesterday and announced she had a belated birthday gift for me.Handed over a plastic bag that contained a very dirty Minolta Maxxum 7000 she had purchased at a flea market.
    I'm a Nikon/Pentax shooter but this camera looks interesting.Alas the battery holder is absent.
    Can a battery holder be obtained at a reasonable price?
    Is there any Canadian supplier?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    A good friend of mine popped in yesterday and announced she had a belated birthday gift for me.Handed over a plastic bag that contained a very dirty Minolta Maxxum 7000 she had purchased at a flea market.
    I'm a Nikon/Pentax shooter but this camera looks interesting.Alas the battery holder is absent.
    Can a battery holder be obtained at a reasonable price?
    Is there any Canadian supplier?
    Keep the camera and the friend. Both may need a CLA though.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    The 7000 was the first autofocus 35mm SLR camera. Knobs and dials were out of favor then, so the 7000 relied on rubber buttons to activate electrical contacts. These fail over time, so even if you did get a battery holder you might have problems. Minolta lenses are very nice, so if it came with a good, working 50mm lens, it'd be worth fixing up this body or getting a Maxxum 7 or 9 to use it on.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    You'll pay between 50=100 bucks for a good used body, so unless you enjoy restoring cameras, it's most probably not a practical proposition

wayne

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    My sister has one of those, but it developed some problem where it drains the (expensive) battery a common problem on the 7000 model.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks all.
    I'll keep the camera and the friend.A sweet gesture from someone who knows I love photography.All she said was "It holds film".
    Might run into an old body with the battery adapter further on down the road.

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Minolta 7000's came from the factory set up for AAA batteries but the battery holder could be removed and replaced with one which held AA batteries. The AA holder also made the hand-grip a little thicker. You ought to be able to find one or the other battery holder, but as previously mentioned if you want one you'll probably be better off just buying a clean one.

Pretty decent camera: I used one for several years before getting a 7xi. It wasn't really the first autofocus camera but it was the first commercially successful one -- Minolta sold a boat-load of them. AF is slow by current standards but also by current standards the controls are super-simple to use and the exposure calculation is excellent.

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    I saw this thread a little late. The camera is probably fine, but the lenses in the Minolta (now Sony) line up are stunning. The 50mm 1.4, 28-70mm G, the 70-200mm G, 100mm 2.8 (regular and macro), and perhaps the 300mm G are the creme de la creme of lenses. To me, my current philosophy is that you invest in the lenses, and make do with the bodies.
    Film and digital; best of both worlds. JapanesePhotos.Asia.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike,

I have a non-working Minolta 7000 with a good battery holder that you can have.

-Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    Thanks all.
    I'll keep the camera and the friend.A sweet gesture from someone who knows I love photography.All she said was "It holds film".
    Might run into an old body with the battery adapter further on down the road.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Email sent.
    Thanks Marc.A very nice gesture.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin