Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,394   Online: 681

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlb View Post
    On many summer days in this part of the world, the temperature in a locked car can reach anything between 50 and 60 degrees Celcius.
    Not that it makes a whole lot of difference because 50-60C is the same all over the world but, where is this part of the world?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by budrichard View Post
    Cameras, electronics, firearms, purses etc are NEVER left in vehicles to avoid theft.
    That said, you bet high temps are going to affect your camera, both physically and electronically..-Dick
    Unless winter, I would not leave any camera inside a car.
    They can get into the car if they want, I prefer to take everything valuable with me.

Poisson, where did you see that? Ouch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would also be concerned about the light seals.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Not that it makes a whole lot of difference because 50-60C is the same all over the world but, where is this part of the world?

Perth, Australia

Thanks for all the replies. I was mailny curious to see if I could just leave the camera in the car all year round but it sounds like it will be best to take it out of the car during the warmer months and keep a cooler bag handy for those trips on warm days when I do decide to take it with me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlb View Post
    Perth, Australia

...and keep a cooler bag handy for those trips on warm days when I do decide to take it with me.

The cooler bag would also provide good "padding" for the camera against jolting on rough roads and bumping against other items in the car (not to mention dust and moisture protection).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't reccomend it...I think the film will suffer more than the camera...
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It might melt a Holga...
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    Heat is especially bad for lenses. As Anscojohn mentioned, lubricants get less vicous at high temperatures and start to bleed into areas they aren't supposed to be in. If helicoid grease gets into your aperture blades on an SLR lens, you can forget about your lens stopping down properly. This will cause overexposure of your images, unless you always shoot wide open. I can only guess that there are lubricants in other areas of the camera, too. If I need to leave a camera in the car, I put it in a dry cooler in the trunk. The trunk stays cooler than the rest of the car, and the cooler is insulated, so it should maintain a lower internal temp than the rest of the trunk. Even in a cooler, though, the inside temperature will eventually rise to the ambient temperature of the trunk. I do not put ice in my cooler. You do not want to take a camera from a cold environment into a warmer one, especially if there's humidity. This will cause condensation, which is probably faster and more deadly to electronics than heat.

Shooter
    35mm
    And even a few hours of exposure to heat over 50c will damage your film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeDexter View Post
    And even a few hours of exposure to heat over 50c will damage your film.

Film is damaged long before 50°c i.e. casts, streaks on emulsion where film rails contact etc. Besides all this, why would you leave a camera in a hot car, or anything of value in a car? Remove it. Only tempts thieves anyway.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin