Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,947   Online: 804

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree with the fish.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For whatever it might be worth, it's not uncommon for owner manuals today to indicate operating temperature ranges are best kept between 0C-40C which means the high-end is 104F which could easily be exceeded in a closed car in the sun. I always assumed the manufacturer had reasons for this limitation and try to observe it.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeDexter View Post
    Heat is especially bad for lenses. As Anscojohn mentioned, lubricants get less vicous at high temperatures and start to bleed into areas they aren't supposed to be in. If helicoid grease gets into your aperture blades on an SLR lens, you can forget about your lens stopping down properly. This will cause overexposure of your images, unless you always shoot wide open. I can only guess that there are lubricants in other areas of the camera, too. If I need to leave a camera in the car, I put it in a dry cooler in the trunk. The trunk stays cooler than the rest of the car, and the cooler is insulated, so it should maintain a lower internal temp than the rest of the trunk. Even in a cooler, though, the inside temperature will eventually rise to the ambient temperature of the trunk. I do not put ice in my cooler. You do not want to take a camera from a cold environment into a warmer one, especially if there's humidity. This will cause condensation, which is probably faster and more deadly to electronics than heat.
    My experience was that a very good lens was ruined because the lubricants vaporized and plated out on the lens surfaces. I could not find someone to clean the lens at the time so I ended up throwing it out.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    My experience was that a very good lens was ruined because the lubricants vaporized and plated out on the lens surfaces. I could not find someone to clean the lens at the time so I ended up throwing it out.

Steve
    This could have been an opportunity to try a bit of DIY lens cleaning: what did you have to lose?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Galah View Post
    This could have been an opportunity to try a bit of DIY lens cleaning: what did you have to lose?
    I did not have the facilities to realign the lenses for starters. The list went on ...

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    It might melt a Holga...
    I melted a Diana once, and it wasn't even that hot out. Anyway, how can you take any pictures if the camera is back in the car?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wonder if the heat will mess up the LCD screens on some of the newer cameras?

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    I melted a Diana once, and it wasn't even that hot out.
    You should have made a series of portraits with it and submitted the results to the MOMA. It would have been the "next Big Trend" in the art world!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin