Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,053   Online: 829

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Minolta 7 or 9?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zk-cessnaguy View Post
    Wade, this is a Dynax (Maxxum) 7 (with vertical grip).

A lot more sophisticated than the Maxxum 7000 indeed. I tend to upgrade in increments. SRT 101, SRT 201, X-700 and now the 7000. Looks like I may need to upgrade again.

Shooter
    35mm
    The "7" was the last of the 7 series (7000, 700, and then the 7... seems like they were counting down). Also, Maxxum / Dynax / Alpha... it's all the same beast, just depends on which country you were in.

I had a look at them today, and certainly, it's sad that the Alpha 7 seemed to have had the best menu and electronic features, compared to the last Alpha 9 made (before it all went digital). The menu system and all the buttons and bits were all really familiar, and very easy to have confidence in using. Switching between the two cameras can possibly be done without a second thought. But the Alpha 9, shame it didn't have that display system on the back. Also, I couldn't figure out how to adjust the focus zone. I'm sure there is a way, and it'll become second nature later, but that display system on the back of the A7!!!

Still thinking about it all. "kangaimasu" (Japanese for 'think[ing about]')
    Film and digital; best of both worlds. JapanesePhotos.Asia.

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh, one more thought. The largest digital files I can get scanned here in this city, is a little more than 4000x3000, which is on par with the current Sony A700 in terms of digital size. So, there must be some extra advantage that film has. I'm very logical in making decisions, as you can perhaps tell. I loved the effects you can get with black and white film, especially with filters (especially red filters on clear skies with some fluffy clouds). There's got to be more than that, I'd imagine.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
    I use a Contax RTS III, which I love. I have to admit that when I held a (here) Maxxum 9 my knees went a little weak. The 7 is supposed to be amazing too. No matter what you choose, you can't lose. Two stunning cameras.

That's funny.. I too have a RTSIII and I was also impressed by the Dynax 9 of a friend of mine. I think the Dynax 9 is arguably the most impressive 35mm camera ever made. Build to last and razorsharp to use... My friend sold it and went D....l though....

Jaap Jan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning;

Regarding the Minolta 9 or the Maxxum/Dynax 9 and the SSM/ADI Upgrade program on the IC-1 chip inside the camera:

As mentioned about the www.dyxum.com specialty group for the Minolta Maxxum Cameras, there is a movement to work with Sony to make this upgrade available as a service to the "legacy Minolta customers" that Sony inherited with the purchase of Konica/Minolta. I have examined my own Maxxum 9, and I am also qualified to receive the upgrade on my camera. I admit that I did have hope that it might have been done already.

There is hope that this might work, especially if we can show that there is a large group of cameras that have not been upgraded, but their owners would like to buy and use the new Sony SAL lenses. I have added my name to that group.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    35mm
    Hmm... I'm still thinking about it. But flashgumby, thanks for the summary. I'm now leaning towards the 7, but then a friends is now dangling an 800si in front of me. I've never held one in my hands (he's in Denmark, and I'm in Japan), but I really like the back on the Alpha / Dynax 7.

The other thing I need to do now, is to test the quality of the film scanning service that there is locally.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'm a bit confused... my normal state. So the 9 doesn't work on the SSM lenses without the up-grade.... and we can't get the up-grade at this time.... right.
    The 7 does work with the SSM lenses but isn't as well built as the 9.... right.
    -rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Skeoch View Post
    I'm a bit confused... my normal state. So the 9 doesn't work on the SSM lenses without the up-grade.... and we can't get the up-grade at this time.... right.
    The 7 does work with the SSM lenses but isn't as well built as the 9.... right.
    -rob
    That's correct. The 9 is a slightly earlier camera, introduced in 1998. The 7 came along in 2000. SSM lenses came out in 2003.
    There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You are looking at two of the best 35mm bodies ever made. The difference is subtle, but there. I have owned several of both, and many other Maxxums (and Minolta manual focus bodies as well). The 9 is sleek, a film shooter's dream. The viewfinder is gorgeous. The shutter sound is perfect. It is built like a tank and will take some abuse of travel, etc. However, it is large and heavy, along with the grip - more heavy, and therefore may not get as much travel time as your old manual camera would. I find the small LCD at the top not as nice for tripod shots as the large LCD on the back of the 7 - however, I am never concerned about how or where I place the camera as I am with the 7! Also, the custom menus on the 7 show up in words - the 9 menus you must memorize and go off of numbers. Small things, I know - but they can make a difference.

To be honest, I think I've gotten more "field time" out of the 7, although it's hard to tell. It has ADI/SSM already on board, and handles quite well for its size and weight in comparison to the 9. If it were weather sealed, it would be easy to forgo the 9 and have only the 7. It is that good. What it does is present perhaps the best compromise to a camera I've ever seen. Small enough to take with (while still being "pro featured" enough to shoot anything), light weight, fast AF, bright viewfinder, good shutter speeds, MLU (which the 800si does not have), quite competent metering, and wireless flash.
    AF speed on both is very similar and generally quite fast. The 9 is more silent, as it has a larger motor with more torque. The 7 is louder, and really slams the lens in there - which may make them seem different speeds - but really almost the same. I think the 7 may be a touch faster with lighter lenses (say anything smaller and lighter than the 100mm macro D) and the 9 is a little faster with longer lenses (300mm, etc) due to the increased torque.
    I personally find the interface of the 7 to be better than the 800si and the like. But that's just me - coming from the manual Minolta lineup of XD-11, X-700, etc - the 7 fit my style better than the 800si and older bodies. Not that they're bad either...just different.
    But all that said, on an emotional level as a photographer, you hold a 9 and just *sigh* ... how can anything be better, you ask? :-) So, I agree with you...what a hard decision!
    Jed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another vote for the Dynax 7, I absolutely love this camera (although I still plan to get a 9 once...). The only thing you should be aware of is that I have found that my 7 sometimes can mis-focus in low light conditions (e.g. artificial light in a house at nighttime), but I think this is a more general issue with most autofocus camera's. This does seem to be a point of improvement in the latest d*****l bodies though. I have held the Sony A900, and it did seem to be performing significantly better in this respect... However, under normal daylight conditions, you will be fine with the AF on the Dynax 7.

Some top features I like about the 7 and don't know if the 9 supports:

- Of course the well lit display on the back. Great, I use it for example during long exposure night shots (e.g. several minutes, BULB). It will display the time past since you pressed the shutter, so you can release it again when you've finished the exposure you planned. If you switch-on the displays light during this BULB exposure, it will stay on the whole time, allowing you to easily watch the time passing. No fumbling around with a stop-watch!

- Mid-film rewind and RELOAD(! :o). This is just fantastic. You can rewind a film half way (e.g. 36 exposure film with only 10 exposures on it), and than RELOAD it and SET the exposure number it needs to wind to. It will than AUTOMATICALLY wind forward to the designated frame number.

I use this feature all the time!!! It's so great to be able to switch between different ISO film types, or color and BW, without any hassle. It's a killer feature... (just one tip: write the last frame number down on the outside of the film, to avoid double exposures )

- Exposure data saving. It will save all the exposure data of the last 7 films used. You can review it on the display on the back and write it down, or, if you still manage to find one second hand: get a Minolta data reader for the Dynax 7 (I have one: it's called the Data Saver DS-100). Unfortunately, the Dynax 7 doesn't yet feature USB to transfer the data to your computer. Shame, since USB was around at the time... The data reader will allow you to write the data to an outdated memory card type (SmartMedia, max 16MB ) and than read that in a generic card reader. Of course, getting the Data Saver second hand is only useful if it includes a working SmartMedia card as well, because you can't buy them any more. And preferably, it should include a suitable working card reader as well. I don't think the latest card readers support the SmartMedia type any more, but my Sandisk USB 2.0 Multi-Card reader of a few years back still did...
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin