Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,199   Posts: 1,531,470   Online: 865

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Minolta 7 or 9?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I keep seeing this thread and the more I read it the more I think "HMMMMMM!!!! Dynax 7?"

Not owned a Minolta before and this may be my first one (just have to sneak it past the other half)

Oh as a slight off topic but what is the diffence between Minolta Xi and Minolta D lenses?
    Stack of 35mm stuff, some 120 stuff and lots of other junk to make it work

Keep it simple. ~ Alfred Eisenstaedt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Xi lenses have power zoom. For full functionality (zoom following etc) they need to be coupled with Xi series cameras. D lenses are distance encoded ones. They communicate the focus distance to the camera, which improved flash exposure when using D series flashes. Also the 7 will display depth of field information on the rear display when the DOF button is pressed when using a D lens.
    Mamiya 645 Super | Nikon F4/F100/FM2n | Minolta Maxxum 9/Dynax 7/X-700/X-500/XD7/SRT-101 | Pentax Spotmatic | Canonet QL 19 (GII) | and a whole bunch of glass

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Java View Post
    ... Oh as a slight off topic but what is the diffence between Minolta Xi and Minolta D lenses?
    Ditto what zk said above, but add that the Xi lenses have the *worst* manual focus I've ever seen - it's kind of a jumpy-incremental thing that always seems to either be just short or just past the point you want. Truly dreadful.

I don't own any Xi lenses, having gotten a couple for free and I gave them to my young son (he thinks the power zoom is cool!). I do wish more of my lenses were 'D' though - the features are not critical, but worth having.

Regards,
    Gordon
    *Minolta Maxxum 7 *Minolta Dynax 600si Classic *Minolta Dynax 5 *Minolta X-300
    *Minolta 28-105 RS, Minolta 50/1.7 (AF & MD), Minolta 50/2.8 Macro, Tamron 70-300
    *A passion to capture God's awesome creation

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'll agree with the two posts above regarding Xi lenses and D lenses. The D lenses were the latest version of Minolta's and are probably worth having if you have a 7 body to go with them...the distance feature is nice, but not necessary, of course. Most of the Sony lenses are D as well - so that's something to think about too, if you can't find a used Minolta lens and want the D feature.
    There are plenty of old, good lenses that do not have the D feature either - but I wouldn't really seek out an Xi version...it was one of those "nice thoughts" to have motorized zoom but didn't pan out so well in practice. Minolta had a whole series of cards that you could attach to the Xi series bodies to take advantage of the Xi lenses with - like for sports or tracking children, etc. Interesting thought, but in practice a skilled photographer is so much better than the computer...you get what I mean, I think.
    What focal lengths are you aiming for? Minolta had some top quality glass that runs with the big boys...you just have to know which model to get. Check out the lens section at www.dyxum.com for good hands-on user reviews, photos, and specs.
    Jed

Shooter
    35mm
    I forgot to mention that even though the power zoom and manual focus were rather quirky, optically the lenses were pretty good.
    *Minolta 28-105 RS, Minolta 50/1.7 (AF & MD), Minolta 50/2.8 Macro, Tamron 70-300

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the update on the Lens. I have been looking around dyxum site, but i have to be careful as most of the lens seem to be tested against digi Minolta/Sony cameras. So although they may have CA and not sharp, the lens would be differnet characters on 35mm film. Oh well more reading

I have seen the 28-80 lens, cheap, which are obviously kit lens, but still not to be discounted, the lens I have my eye on is the 24-105 D lens, whihc I think would compliment he Dynax 7 nicely.
    Stack of 35mm stuff, some 120 stuff and lots of other junk to make it work

Keep it simple. ~ Alfred Eisenstaedt

Shooter
    35mm
    That 24-105 lens, if you mean Sony, it'd be just another re-badged Minolta, which apparently isn't so fantastic, at least on digital. Just what I've heard. I'd try it in the store first. I'd also be interested in it, if I heard better of it. At the moment, I'm thinking of making do with my Minolta 28mm f2.8 (cough), and eventually getting a 50mm 1.4 (Minolta or Sony), but aiming for a 28-70mm G... one day (I should think about getting new pair of jeans, first... while I've still got the money). Anyway, if you do get that 24-105mm, let me know how it goes.
    Film and digital; best of both worlds. JapanesePhotos.Asia.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Java View Post
    ... I have seen the 28-80 lens, cheap, which are obviously kit lens, but still not to be discounted, the lens I have my eye on is the 24-105 D lens, whihc I think would compliment he Dynax 7 nicely.
    You're right about the 28-80, it is a kit lens, usually came with the Dynax/Maxxum 5 or lower. It's no better or worse than most manufacturers' kit lenses - it can be good if stopped down, but if you shoot wide open you may be disappointed.

The 24-105 on the other hand, is a good lens - it was what you might call the 'kit lens' for the 7, but don't let that put you off. It is definitely a step up from the 28-80 in all respects. If memory serves me correctly, the 24-105 D was released with the 7 and they were intended to be life-long partners.

My standard zoom is the older 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 RS and I am very happy with it, especially when stopped down a little. I wouldn't expect any less from the 24-105, actually I'd gladly swap mine for the D without hesitation.

Regards,
    Gordon

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by winjeel View Post
    That 24-105 lens, if you mean Sony, it'd be just another re-badged Minolta, which apparently isn't so fantastic, at least on digital. Just what I've heard. I'd try it in the store first. I'd also be interested in it, if I heard better of it. At the moment, I'm thinking of making do with my Minolta 28mm f2.8 (cough), and eventually getting a 50mm 1.4 (Minolta or Sony), but aiming for a 28-70mm G... one day (I should think about getting new pair of jeans, first... while I've still got the money). Anyway, if you do get that 24-105mm, let me know how it goes.
    If you can't afford Armani jeans, forget about the 28-70 G also, I think that lens has quite a long minimum focus distance - 1.5m or thereabouts? That may or may not bother you. Otherwise, as you probably know, it's a first rate lens.

The 24-105 D (Minolta) may not be so fantastic when compared to a G, but compared to other lenses in the same ballpark, it looks much better. My car doesn't stack up to well if I compare it to a Ferrari, but that's hardly a valid (or fair) critique of my car

Regards,
    Gordon

Shooter
    35mm
    I use Photodo to get an idea of the quality of lenses. Though, some scores can be artificially inflated by what I call the "new purchase bliss", where that new lens is stunning, and there's no rain on my parade. It's helpful, but not solid info'.
    Film and digital; best of both worlds. JapanesePhotos.Asia.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin