Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,515   Posts: 1,543,727   Online: 899

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Prism for the Nikon F - not the FTN

Hi there, any one knows if the Nikon F3 prism fits the Nikon F. I have the FTN photomic prism on the F but I find it big and awkward. Unfortunately the prices I see for the F prisms are pretty high so I was looking for alternatives.
    Thanks for your advice.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Not sure about the F3 prism. I've heard that the F2 prism will fit if you remove the name plate.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've owned an original Nikon F, with the standard pentaprism viewfinder, and I have a Nikon F3HP with a similar viewfinder (HP). The mounting system for these viewfinders on the two cameras are completely different. The Nikon F has a small finder release button to change the viewfinder (located at the back of the body top plate), the F3HP has two finder release levers on the sides of the pentaprism to remove it. I can't imagine how you could readily adapt an F3 pentaprism to fit an F camera.

Jim

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    glue it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can use an F prism or an F2 prism with the nameplate removed.

Your best bet price wise is to find another F body that is already equipped with the standard prism, and either just keep the donor body, or sell it off with your FTN prism attached.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you all for the suggestions. 2F/2F, that is one thing I may consider.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Nikon F has two mounts however. You must be aware of this before you try any of the above. Most FTN prisms will not fit about 1/2 of the Nikon F bodies due to this difference.

They are distinguished by the size of the lip at the edge over the eyepiece. The lip is such on some cameras that it prevents the prism from locking into place.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Unfortunately, there are many more Nikon F users that are looking to ditch those big ugly meter finders than there are non-metered prisms. I haven't looked at the prices lately, but last year good condition prism were selling on eBay for @ $100, with Mint condition ones and black ones running even higher. Good luck.

Shooter
    35mm
    You can only use the F with F finders. The F2 finder will fit the F, but not work correctly. There is a very slight difference in the distance between the prism bottom and the focus screen. The image will LOOK in focus, but will slightly de-focussed on your film.
    Regards-

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Most photomic finders require a cut finder well, except for the original finder with the external CdS cell. The problem with the FTn finder is not that, but that the nameplate is different. To adapt the FTn prism for use on an earlier F that already has the cut finder well (introduced with the red dor 65xxxxx bodies), the nameplate either has to be milled, or replaced with a later part with rounded corners @ the bottom.

With respect to the focusing issue, I just checked my F2, both with its DP-11 finder, and the Tn finder that is being used as a loaner for my Nikon F, while my FTn finder is being worked on. Both finders show the correct focusing distance with the camera in the same position, focused on the same object. So, that may be a moot point. I do know that there is an issue with using F3 screens in F4's, and vice versa, which causes the focus to be off. But, F's and F2's use the same screens, unlike the F3 and the F4, which use similar screens, but slightly different.

-J
    APUG: F4, F2AS, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin