Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,284   Posts: 1,535,061   Online: 1064

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Olympus iS1000/iS-1:comments?

I just bought an Olympus iS-1000/iS-1 (it depends whom you talk to ).

It's in pretty good working order: no scratches on the lens (but you should see the state of the UV filter :rolleyes: A good ad for using filters!). An Olympus G40 electronic flash (working) and a telephoto extender came with it. I have found the relevant user manuals on the web.

I know its not a Leica or a Nikon F4, but -for a "prosumer" type of "compact" with considerable manual options, it seems relatively capable. I'm putting my fist roll of film through it now.

Any comments appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You did well probably, because that G40 flash was probably worth more than the camera itself. The glass is good, the camera is good. Shoot and you will find.

Shooter
    35mm
    The IS-1 (aka IS-1000, L-1) can produce very sharp results. Down side is slow auto focus (will not lock focus on moving subjects). John, www.zuiko.com

Shooter
    Multi Format

Thanks for responding fellas!

Thanks for the quick responses John and Kevin.

I have nearly finished my first film.

So far: G40 flash practically automatic in use (almost switch on and forget!).

Focus not as fast as Canon EF, but appears to be sharper (at least in the viewfinder) and is faster than my Minolta 5000si or my Pentax MZ50. According to the "blurb", the lens should be a "killer".

Another amazing feature is +/_ 4ev exposure compensation at the touch of two fingers. 4ev!!! Even some "top" DSLRs don't have that much EC available. Also, fairly long "eye-relief", so using the viewfinder while wearing spectacles is no problem.

OK, just need to finish off the roll and send it to be processed.

Can't wait!

If anyone has used one of these, I'd still like to hear from them.

PS: I've just finished the first roll & loaded up the second: They are tricky little devils to load, aren't they? The trouble is the design of the loading bay is such that the leader is left "flapping" (its not "caught" onto the takeup mechanism in any way, and the natural curl of the film as it leaves the cassette makes it curl away from the film track so it tends to get in the way of the back as you close it). It's quite an art to load it.
    Last edited by Galah; 03-31-2009 at 11:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format

The "Power Focus" function?

Quote Originally Posted by John Hermanson View Post
    The IS-1 (aka IS-1000, L-1) can produce very sharp results. Down side is slow auto focus (will not lock focus on moving subjects). John, www.zuiko.com

Dear John,

The iS1000 has what they call in the guide book (but don't describe very well) a "Power Focus" button.

What is this for and what does it do?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think the Power Focus is just the manual focus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Caulfield View Post
    I think the Power Focus is just the manual focus.
    I just checked. Yes, it is. It over-rides the auto focus, and then the T and W zoom buttons become focus controls.

Shooter
    35mm
    Does the film cassette snap into place? It should. When the locking clip (found inside the cassette chamber) is broken, then film loading becomes quite a challenge. John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hermanson View Post
    Does the film cassette snap into place? It should. When the locking clip (found inside the cassette chamber) is broken, then film loading becomes quite a challenge. John
    John, yes, that must be the problem. The cassette just flops about in the chamber and, as you say, the loading is "quite a challenge" :rolleyes:. (I thought, at first, it was just me, or a design fault)
    So far I have managed to accomplish the loading -though with a struggle. Now that I know there is a technical problem, I'll look into it more thoroughly. At present I have a film in the chamber, so it will have to wait until I have finished shooting it before I can examine the problem more closely.

In your opinion John, can the locking clip be repaired?

Kevin, thanks for the info on the "power focus" feature: I'll try it.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Got my first prints back!

Well, the prints from my first two rolls of Kokak Ultramax ISO 400 that I put through the Olympus iS1000 have come back.

I apologise that I do not have the facilities needed to post samples, so I will have to rely on a verbal descripton of the results.

I tried to cover a variety of subject matter: architecture, scenics, close focus, and portraiture (with and without flash, including on-board and accessory)

The verdict?

Overall, quite acceptable.

Specifically: very sharp focus (not so flattering for the ladies)

Colour rendition quite acceptable and relativley natural, however, intense reds (as in rose petals) are a bit "blobby".

the lens tends (to me) to be rather contrasty.

Flash metering (including) 'fill flash" appears to be satisfactory as does the "auto" metering in general.

Overall, I'm satified with my purchase (except its a devil to load -I'll have to look into that!)

Overall, I prefer the results from my OM2n and the OM10. However, it is more convenient to use (as any prosumer is, compared to an slr).

overall: 8/10

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin