Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,960   Posts: 1,558,284   Online: 957

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon Photo Secretary or Soft Talk?

Hi everyone! Anybody has an idea where to get the Nikon Photo Secretary with MC-31 cable or the Soft Talk with Har Talk cable or anything in the way which might connect the F90X to a PC??
    thanks so much for all the valuable help provided up to now!
    Joan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not in this BBS! APUG = Analog Photography Users Group.

Moderators please lock thread.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I googled it and a few sites came up with cables that allow you to connect your analogue Nikon to a PC or MAC. Har Talk and Soft Talk. What are they for?
    Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi
    Nikon stopped the production of the cable. Your only chance is ebay or you can build the cable yourself.
    (look for the MC-32 too, it is the MAC Cable, you only have to change the connector to the PC)

Soft Talk can be downloaded and used for free.
    http://www.cocoon-creations.com/COCO...tTALK-98.shtml

Marc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rwyoung View Post

He's not asking how to digitize his camera, he's asking how to get information off of it. If you're offended by that, then I guess this board shouldn't talk about any camera with built in CPU's.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Don't sweat it, it's only film capture data

The later film Nikons stored a few rolls worth of data but it's only for the metrics of the images, exposure settings and so forth (somewhat like EXIF in a digital image). Can be accessed and uploaded through the 10-pin connector of the F5, maybe the F100, don't know about the N90 but do remember hearing there's another camera connector besides 10 pin for one of the bodies. The PC cable mates up with an RS-232 serial port connector, or DB9 serial port via adapter. The Mac version might have used the ADC port. No recent computers are likely to have either port so it likely won't be plug and play on your laptop.

One interesting feature that the original PhotoSecretary software supposedly facilitated was to dial in a delay of X milliseconds on the camera, so that one could slightly lag and synchronize an F5 with an N90 daisy chained together, for simultaneous use of one set of strobes. There are also other user customizable functions on the F5, at least, which cannot be accessed any other way (i.e. not through the usual menu on the camera alone). There apparently was a cable and perhaps a little program for reprogramming the F5 from a Sharp Pocket Wizard, an older pocket secretary (a Palm-sized organizer) from the early to mid 90's. But then that device was eclipsed by the PC software version, Nikon PhotoSecretary.

The original Nikon PC software also allows for shooting (on film) while tethered to a computer and adjusting the camera settings remotely via a PC or Mac. Don't know about Hartalk and Softalk. Only recall they seemed to have no further tech support once they offered free D/L.

Please let us know what you find, I might need to lag my F5 sometime.
    Last edited by Pupfish; 03-31-2009 at 09:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a HarTalk cable set including the palm device adapter and the SoftTalk software. I'm no longer using it since I sold my F100, so PM me if you're interested in buying it. I was planning on listing it in the classifieds.

Shooter
    35mm
    SoftTalk has stopped being produced but they have offered it free. You can check them out.

http://www.cocoon-creations.com/COCO...tTALK-98.shtml

I haven't been on the site in a long time so I'm not sure if the link is still open or good.

If you can get a cable to work with your camera contact me and I may be able to get you the SoftTalk software if you can't get it from the site. They offered the software and key code open to the public so anyone can run it and you don't have to buy the software anymore. There will not be any support though.

I use it with my F5 and databack to download shooting data.
    Last edited by airgunr; 03-31-2009 at 10:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    WJS/wi/usa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rwyoung View Post

The camera is a film camera, as in analog. The data cable is to transfer exposure info logged by the camera to a computer, like keeping exposure notes, but automated.

Lee

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Just to confirm, there is no problem with this topic on APUG.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin