Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,449   Online: 895

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fixbones View Post
    i raised this question because rangefinder shooters seems to discuss a bit about lenses and their effects in B & W. So was just wondering if the same exists for 35mm SLRs.
    Check out the Zeiss ZF lenses for Nikon F mount if you want more contrast. As others have mentioned, there is a vast repertoire of ordinary Nikon F lenses that work very well for b&w.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fixbones View Post
    I was just wondering if there are any particular nikon mount lenses for SLRs that works particularly well with B & W film photography?

It seems that with the rangefinders, there are lenses that works better with B & W imagery.
    I believe what you're referring to are some of the Cosina lenses where you have a choice of single or multi-coating. Many folks find the single coated lenses more pleasing for B&W. Also many of the older lenses were uncoated too.
    The older Nikon lenses were single coated, newer ones MC.
    If you're not sure look at the reflections in the lens, if they're all one color they're single coated and if several colors multicoated.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a Zeiss Sonnar 1.5/50mm. It is outstanding in black and white. I highly recommend that lens. There has been some discussion concerning that lens at miniumum focal distance but how ofter are you at minimum focal distance at f1.5? Mostly I am at narrower f-stops. When I am at f1.4 & f2.0 I am not at minimum focus distance. With ASA 400 B&W the range is terrific. I shot it with ASA 1600 again excellent results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "I was just wondering if there are any particular nikon mount lenses for SLRs that works particularly well with B & W film photography?"

Lenses that are used by particularly good black and white photographers seem to work best.

"It seems that with the rangefinders, there are lenses that works better with B & W imagery."

There are no such things.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi,

My Nikkor 50 f1,4 from 1972 gives excellent results. Actually, it is very hard to tell the difference in terms of sharpness with my Summicron (Leica). This is quite puzzling as leica prices are outrageous... I would never give up that old lens.

A previous comment about coatings was very true. Multi-coated lens appeared in the 1960s-1970s (depending on the make) because color photography bacame widespread then. All quality lenses will give good results in B/W, paper has its importance for sure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin