Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,610   Online: 897

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by altair View Post
    @Rolleinut: Thanx for your input. I have another reservation regarding those CZ lenses..I read somewhere that they're not THAT impressive when compared with the Yashica lenses...how's your experience with these lenses?
    If you're after sharpness alone and close down to f/5.6 or 8.0, you might not notice any difference.

The Zeiss' shine in the following situations:
    1) At full aperture
    2) Lack of (or very low) distortion
    3) Lower flare, haze and ghosting
    4) Probably much better bokeh
    5) My favourites have a special visual signature, something akin to a "3-D effect" and extra smoothness compared to most other lenses

How much those extra characteristics, which may or may not be relevant or visible in a given photograph, are worth to you is your choice.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    @Pandolfo: Yes, the FX-3 has the C/Y mount...that's what I'm thinking, since those CZ lenses with T* coatings are so freakin' expensive..are they worth the money? How's your experience with them?
    Today you can buy those lenses used pretty cheap (although never as cheap as a Yashica one). Old "CZ" lenses are really spectacular, but you "need" them only if you are shooting slides, contrast and color saturation are the best. Probably they are sharper too, but I can't tell. If you are scanning and post-processing your images, you can correct for a less good lens.

I've never used a Yashica lens to compare, the one that came with my camera was so plastic that since day one rests in the bottom of a trunk. As this camera was a back-up for my Contax Aria, I already had the Zeiss glass.
    Marcelo

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MPandolfo View Post
    Today you can buy those lenses used pretty cheap (although never as cheap as a Yashica one). Old "CZ" lenses are really spectacular, but you "need" them only if you are shooting slides, contrast and color saturation are the best. Probably they are sharper too, but I can't tell. If you are scanning and post-processing your images, you can correct for a less good lens.

I've never used a Yashica lens to compare, the one that came with my camera was so plastic that since day one rests in the bottom of a trunk. As this camera was a back-up for my Contax Aria, I already had the Zeiss glass.
    Maybe in Chile, but US prices are still pretty high: http://cgi.ebay.com/Contax-C-Y-Tele-...1%7C240%3A1318
    In case the link expires it is for a Contax C/Y Tele-APO-Tessar 300mm f2.8 300/2.8 T* for $11,000 USD.

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe in Chile, but US prices are still pretty high: http://cgi.ebay.com/Contax-C-Y-Tele-...1%7C240%3A1318
    In case the link expires it is for a Contax C/Y Tele-APO-Tessar 300mm f2.8 300/2.8 T* for $11,000 USD.
    Are you serious?
    I thought we were talking about everyday lenses... didn't we?

Is there a Yashica 300mm f2.8 APO to compare ?
    BTW, how many US$11.000 Tele-APO-Tessars.. etc. has this seller sold ?
    Putting a tag with a number on an item doesn't mean it's the real price of it. Show me the check of a buyer and I will believe.

If you are curious, in Santiago, prices of Contax/Zeiss stuff is pretty much the same as any good eBay offer.
    As there are no restrictions here to buy/sell whatever you want from/to whichever country you want, prices are similar to biggest markets.

That said, I assume that when we talk about prices, we are thinking about common reference sources, like eBay, NY big stores and some forums classifieds. You confirm that assumption by citing prices in "the Bay" and not around your corner in Kansas. Why do you think I'll be different ?

Hasta la vista!, baby.
    Last edited by MPandolfo; 04-12-2009 at 12:03 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Marcelo

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Is it worth it to "upgrade" to either a faster Yashica ML or similar Contax???

I don't know. Only you can answer that for you.

It certainly is not worth it for me....but, then I have lots and lots of 35mm bodies and lenses. If I'm concerned abouit having really good glass on 35mm...I guess I reach for the Nikons and after that, come several Pentaxes and the Minoltas. Even so, the Yashica ML glass is, from what I've seen in actual use, on par with all of these.

Really, I can't think of a single, modern OEM prime lens that sucks...they're all Excellent!

I'd say just shoot with it a while and don't worry about what is the best, most sexy lens.
    Thanks for your advice Brad...I really value and I think it is sound I think I'll stick to the lens I have...for now

Shooter
    Multi Format
    @Jeff L: Thanks jeff! I'll keep an eye out on those! I certainly agree with you...the Yashica lens that I have gives me excellent results! I'm certainly happy with it

@agfarapid: Wow, a macro lens eh? Hmm...maybe later on, I'll consider one of those..how much did it cost you?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have several Yashicas. I have CZ and Yashica DSB lenses. Can't tell much of a difference. Maybe I'm going blind!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin