Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,279   Posts: 1,534,859   Online: 770

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Question about lenses for the Yashica FX-3

Hi all! I've recently got a hand me down from my dad, his old Yashica FX-3 SLR which has been in storage for 20 years! Upon inspecting it, it seems to be working fine..everything works..so I'm stoked! There's a bit of haze on the lens, but hey that's easily fixed. It has the 50mm Yashica f2 ML lens, and so far my results with this lens seems great. But further down the line I'm thinking of getting some other lenses for this baby. What lenses would you recommend? I pretty much want the CZ T* lenses, but they're goshdarn expensive! And has anyone tried the C/Y mount to M42 adapter? Does it work ok?

A bit OOT, but I want to get myself an M42 system sometime too, the TL Electro seems nice...is it worth it just to get myself into the M42 system of lenses?

Thanx in advance!

-dani-

Shooter
    35mm
    Doesn't this camera use the C/Y bayonet mount ?
    If so, you can use all the old Contax/Zeiss lenses for 35mm with the T* coatings.
    I have a FX-3 Super 2000 and only use the Zeiss lenses.
    Last edited by MPandolfo; 04-08-2009 at 05:34 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo
    Marcelo

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many of the Zeiss lenses are lovely...

You need to decide which focal lengths & apertures you want: That is a very personal matter.

Generally speaking, the only Zeiss lens I've come across which wasn't very satisfying is the pre-1985 25mm.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Large Format
    On a whim, I picked up a very nice used FX-3 Super 2000 a few years ago. Mine came with the kit zoom lens (42-70mm?). I also have a 50mm f/2 and 28mm f/2.8 - all three lenses are Yashica ML.

Don't be too quick to dismiss the Yashica ML glass...from my own experience with this kit...it's pretty darned good glass. Maybe, its not Contax/Ziess but, it awful darned good. I am actually surprised it doesn't get more notice / attention.

Even the lowly zoom surprises me.

I bought the camera because it was just too cheap to pass up. I keep it because it is so small, light and stealthy. I really love that. It seems like I can walk around with it in my hand just about anywhere and nobody ever even notices it...until I release the shutter anyway. My shutter is LOUD!

Nice, fully mechanical body for not much$$$ - can't beat that.

W.R.T. your M42 question...if you wanna get into M42 - just go for the best - Pentax!
    Last edited by BradS; 04-08-2009 at 11:27 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typos and stuff like that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with BradS. I tested the 50mm f1.8 Yashinon that came on my FX-3 against a Rollei mount Zeiss 50mm f1.4 Planar. At f8 with the mirror up, on a tripod, the results are very promising. I stopped looking for a Contax mount 50mm Zeiss after that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    @Pandolfo: Yes, the FX-3 has the C/Y mount...that's what I'm thinking, since those CZ lenses with T* coatings are so freakin espensive..are they worth the money? How's your experience with them?

@Rolleinut: Thanx for your input. I have another reservation regarding those CZ lenses..I read somewhere that they're not THAT impressive when compared with the Yashica lenses...how's your experience with these lenses?

@Brad: Appreciate your feedback! Hehe, I'm very keen on the Asahi Pentax Spotmatic, if that's what u mean And yes, those Yashica glass sure are nice...a few websites vouched for them too. But is it worth it to 'upgrade' from my 50mm Yashica f/2 to maybe say a Yashica 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.7? And yeah, my shutter is darn loud too...it goes 'CLACK' and then suddenly everyone looks around, hahaha...

@ic-racer: thanx for that info! That's the thing, if those CZ glasses are not much better than the Yashica ones, then I'll probably stick to the Yashicas. I doubt if there's a Yashinon with a C/Y mount though...is there any? I haven't found one on eBay that's for sure, hehe.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by altair View Post
    @Brad: Appreciate your feedback! Hehe, I'm very keen on the Asahi Pentax Spotmatic, if that's what u mean And yes, those Yashica glass sure are nice...a few websites vouched for them too. But is it worth it to 'upgrade' from my 50mm Yashica f/2 to maybe say a Yashica 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.7? And yeah, my shutter is darn loud too...it goes 'CLACK' and then suddenly everyone looks around, hahaha...
    Is it worth it to "upgrade" to either a faster Yashica ML or similar Contax???

I don't know. Only you can answer that for you.

It certainly is not worth it for me....but, then I have lots and lots of 35mm bodies and lenses. If I'm concerned abouit having really good glass on 35mm...I guess I reach for the Nikons and after that, come several Pentaxes and the Minoltas. Even so, the Yashica ML glass is, from what I've seen in actual use, on par with all of these.

Really, I can't think of a single, modern OEM prime lens that sucks...they're all Excellent!

I'd say just shoot with it a while and don't worry about what is the best, most sexy lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by altair View Post
    @ic-racer: thanx for that info! That's the thing, if those CZ glasses are not much better than the Yashica ones, then I'll probably stick to the Yashicas. I doubt if there's a Yashinon with a C/Y mount though...is there any? I haven't found one on eBay that's for sure, hehe.
    I'm mistaken. I looked at my FX-3 and it says "ML" "Yashica Lens" not Yashinon. I was thinking of my 124-G (which also compares favorably with my Rolleis).
    Last edited by ic-racer; 04-09-2009 at 06:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use many Yashica ML and Zeiss lenses in the CY mount. The Yashica lenses are very good and pretty cheap. One of my favourites is the ML 21mm. The ML 55 2.8 macro gets great reviews.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a couple of Contax 139MA's along with the Yashica FX103 and have used them with Tamron glass (because I also have Nikons, a Topcon DM, etc) and have had excellent results. Particularly the 35 to 70MM 3.5 Tamron adaptall zoom. A bit heavy but excellent glass. Recently picked up a 50MM 4.0 Yashica ML Macro. Great lens, 1:2 focusing. Can't afford Zeiss glass either! Happy shooting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin