Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,227   Online: 1029

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    One note about accessories. The accessories for the New F-1(N) have FN in the name, and do not fit the first two models; likewise, the accessories for the first two models fit each other but not the latest version.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    Huh? and Argh! I didnt know there were 3 versions of the Canon F-1.

-If only canon had been more thoughtful of Ebay auctions before they named the f-1
    There were three Canons named the F-1, but the second version was indistinguishable from the first from across the room. It was a minor tweak of features, and nothing else. It looks almost exactly the same and takes all the same accessories.

The one you have is the third model to carry the name, but the first major redesign. It is an '80s camera through and through, and is a *totally* different camera, sans the lens mount. It does not take the same bottom plates, motor drives, prisms, etc., and looks nothing like the older ones from an aesthetic design POV.

They are all great cameras, and all take the same lenses. Just be careful when purchasing accessories to make sure you get the ones for the '80s version.

I have one each of the F-1 model 1 and F-1 model 2. I do not have the one you have. I know this is not the question, but if anyone is interested, here are the differences I have noticed between model 1 and model 2:

1. The EI can be set from 25 to 2000 in third stops on model one, and from 25 to 3200 in third stops on model 2. I prefer the model 2 for this feature. (Same difference between FTb models 1 and 2.)

2. The advance lever is all metal and has a lower profile and a longer throw on model 1, while it is plastic tipped, higher in profile, has a shorter throw, and there is a larger angle when in the ready position on model 2. I prefer the model 2 for this feature; mainly for the ready position and shorter stroke. This lets my hook my thumb around the advance lever, allows me to advance more positively and quickly, and without having to shift my whole hand as much. (Same difference between FTb models 1 and 2.)

3. The battery check feature is combined with the meter on/off switch on both models. However, the battery check position is momentary on model 2, while it clicks into position on model 1. I prefer model 1 in this case.

4. The shutter release collar is more "collar like" on model 2. It is taller, wider, and has a flare on top and a recessed "cup" shape, while model 1's collar is simply a low profile, straight tube in which the shutter release sits. I prefer model 2 in this case. I can easily rest my finger on the collar and shoot by making a slight shift in my finger. On model 1, you have to be a bit more careful not to trip the shutter if you are resting your finger up there. Perhaps there was no difference between the two models in this regard, and there were simply different collars available for the system. (FTb model 2 may have this same feature, though I don't know, as both of my FTbs are the older models.)

5. There is an area to slip a film box top on model 2, but not on model 1. I prefer to have the ability to do this (minus Scotch tape) when I am shooting multiple bodies with different films, Like on my recent cross-country trip, on which I brought all five of my FD bodies plus a Nikon F. (FTb model 2 may be the same.)

(FTb model 2 uses the same style DOF preview/self timer/mirror lockup/manual aperture control assembly that was used on F-1 models 1 and 2. It is operationally the same, but cosmetically different than the one on FTb model 1.)

None of these differences are a big deal, and they would not keep me from purchasing or using one camera over the other.

I would purchase an old F-1 over a new F-1 simply because all of my accessories are for the older ones. My Speed Finder, MF drive, F drive, and my lovely Type F focusing screen would not work with the new one!

Canon lists them like so in their online "Camera Museum" (http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/):

1st model (1971): "F-1"
    2nd model (1976 with minor changes): "F-1 (Later model)"
    3rd model (1981 - your model): "New F-1"

KEH lists the cameras as follows:

1st model: "F-1"
    2nd model: "F-1 2ND STYLE"
    3rd model: "F-1N LATEST"

A lot of people call them F-1, F-1n, and F-1N, respectively.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 04-11-2009 at 04:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I just bought a F-1N (latest) used and am beginning to play with it. It feels wonderful, and the bits and bobs will take a bit getting used to. If I wanted to change focussing screens, is eb*y the place to find them?
    Chris Klug
    -----------
    My photo life story: http://patternsoflightndark.com/wordpress/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    New F-1 focusing screens are hard to find. Kevin Cameras on eBay has something of a selection of them.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    The F1n is a superb camera--one of the best ever. I love mine and have been looking for a nice second F1n body. The AE Power Winder FN provides a nice compromise of performance and price. I am sure you will enjoy this camera. In many ways, it is a tribute to the best in camera design.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    New F-1 focusing screens are hard to find. Kevin Cameras on eBay has something of a selection of them.
    You all are in luck right now, because KEH has five types of FN focusing screens in stock (and only two for the old F-1). They have AE (split microprism), PE (selective metering), SI (laser matte with double crosshair), SJ (all matte with spot), and "FN soft cover spot metering overall matte screen".

They also have five types of T-90 screens in stock.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have 2 Canon New F-1 (3rd type); one with AE Finder, the other with an AE Power Winder FN. I love them. I consider them as good as my Nikon F and F2AS. As for lenses; I prefer the S.C. type (with a chrome ring in the back)

Shooter
    35mm
    Pumalite: Wow, what a selection of classic 35mm gear. I have or have owned a number of the cameras you have listed. I believe I currently own eight bodies now.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    While I don't intend to use this forum to troubleshoot my problems, I'll just ask this quick question, since people here obviously know this camera. My F-1N came with the AE finder. When the camera arrived (I bought it from Adorama, used (obviously) I attached a lens and the camera was in Match-needle mode. I saw the scale at the right-hand aside of the finder. I put the camera into AE mode by, as the manual says, turning the shutter dial to 'A'. AE mode works fine. The manual says all I have to do to get it back into match-needle mode is to disengage the shutter dial from 'A'. However, when I do that, the aperture scale does not re-appear. Is there some button or switch I might have tripped or pushed to bollix things up? Or is there something wrong with the camera?
    Chris Klug
    -----------
    My photo life story: http://patternsoflightndark.com/wordpress/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Mine seems to work properly. I switch the shutter speed dial between A and 2000 and the match needle appears.
    It seems that this is an internal mechanism of teh body, not the prism, but Im not sure how it may work with the ae prism.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin