Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,447   Online: 972

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanishing Point Ent. View Post
    One final Caveat. NEVER get an Olympic Canon New F1. These can be determined by the gold instead of white lettering. I traded a regular New F1 for it & the Gold one ate batteries something fierce. I know of a friend that had
    the same problem & it soured him on Canon.
    The problem is this problem can be corrected on a White One, but it could never be corrected on the Gold one.
    Unless, of course everyone was lying to me & never bothered to look at it. But I had already paid for the repair once.
    Yeah...That gold paint really drains the batteries, don't it?!?!?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Yeah...That gold paint really drains the batteries, don't it?!?!?
    You can jest, if you like, but since these were the very first New F1's, there seems to be some kind of design problem, with the spring contacts in the Lock / On switch.
    Mine was fixed several times with no success, even at Canon Irvine, CA., U.S.A..

I never noticed a problem, with my white lettered F1's

As I said, maybe I was getting the run around. I did say that right ?

Since this all about my experiences, these are my experiences, but I have discovered, about 5 other people with the same camera & the same problem. Maybe a bad batch ?
    If so, get a White lettered one & avoid the problem, like I said.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanishing Point Ent. View Post
    You can jest, if you like, but since these were the very first New F1's, there seems to be some kind of design problem, with the spring contacts in the Lock / On switch.
    Mine was fixed several times with no success, even at Canon Irvine, CA., U.S.A..

I never noticed a problem, with my white lettered F1's

As I said, maybe I was getting the run around.
    I did say that right ?

Since this all about my experiences, these are my experiences, but I have discovered, about 5 other people with the same camera & the same problem.
    Maybe a bad batch ? If so, get a White lettered one & avoid the problem, like I said.
    So, you are saying that it is a serial number issue, if anything, not a gold paint issue. This may be. However, consider this: The Los Angeles Olympics model came out in 1984. The New F-1 came out in 1981. Why would they make a minor internal design change only on L.A. Olympics models (especially one that was detrimental)? If they were the first ones built, then they sat for three years at Canon before being shipped to retail stores. Is this the case?

If there is any reason not to get the Los Angeles Olympics model, it is because it is more expensive than a standard one, but is exactly the same camera functionally.

Perhaps the problem with L.A. Olympics models is that the kinds of folks who would spend more money for a different color paint never actually used the cameras, and they sat and rotted.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 04-19-2009 at 02:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    LOL

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    All the F-1 cameras are a little more "modular" than they need to be (like, on the original F-1, a flash shoe is an accessory), but I've been very happy with my New F-1 for over 25
    years now.
    Count me in too,I have two Canon F1N AE bodys for about twenty three years, and IMO they are the best professional 35mm SLR ever made, and I have owned the Nikon F and the F2 in the past, they were great, but the F1N is better
    Last edited by benjiboy; 04-13-2013 at 11:07 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I hate it when my old posts get bumped, and I see just how silly i was.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    I hate it when my old posts get bumped, and I see just how silly i was.
    It's my fault Darin I didn't notice how old the preceding posts were, but I.M.O if anybody ever made a better professional S.L.R. than the F1 in all three of it's versions I have yet to hear about it.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    hey guys... I just joined his forum to learn about some rangefinder stuff I just purchased... and I happen to see this thread. if anyone is interested I'm selling a Canon New F-1 (mint condition) and an FD 50L and FD 85L. Let me know if you're interested and I can provide the link.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RichLPhotography View Post
    hey guys... I just joined his forum to learn about some rangefinder stuff I just purchased... and I happen to see this thread. if anyone is interested I'm selling a Canon New F-1 (mint condition) and an FD 50L and FD 85L. Let me know if you're interested and I can provide the link.
    Welcome to the forum Rich, if you want to sell something on A.P.U.G. you have to be a subscriber and advertise in the classified section.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    It's my fault Darin I didn't notice how old the preceding posts were, but I.M.O if anybody ever made a better professional S.L.R. than the F1 in all three of it's versions I have yet to hear about it.
    Have you provided a write-up on what made the F-1, F-1N and New F-1 the best in your opinion? I would be curious to read your perspective.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin