Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,575   Online: 943

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Welcome to the forum Rich, if you want to sell something on A.P.U.G. you have to be a subscriber and advertise in the classified section.
    Yes... which is why I didn't directly post the ad. Don't worry though... after investigating and looking around yesterday, it looks like this is a great site and community, so I signed up this morning and subscribed. I'll be posting an official ad later today, as soon as my account is approved to do so.

Edit:: here is a link.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...ml#post1488307
    Last edited by RichLPhotography; 04-19-2013 at 07:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've only worked with A-series cameras, but the more I think about it lately, the more I want to get myself an F1 New. Problem is, as always, budget constraints.

They're always too expensive! Oh well, I guess it's expensive because it's still in demand. People still want them. Rich, yours looks in great condition, but too rich for my blood.
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Markster View Post
    I've only worked with A-series cameras, but the more I think about it lately, the more I want to get myself an F1 New. Problem is, as always, budget constraints.

They're always too expensive! Oh well, I guess it's expensive because it's still in demand. People still want them. Rich, yours looks in great condition, but too rich for my blood.
    Mark... buy my F-1 and sell your A-series cameras.... trust me, the F-1 will not let you down.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    Have you provided a write-up on what made the F-1, F-1N and New F-1 the best in your opinion? I would be curious to read your perspective.
    I will be happy to Les, I've been a photographer for more than 50 years and for more than 20 the manager of a professional photographic dealers before I retired, and have handled and used most of the best cameras that money can buy and the New Canon F1 is I.M.O. the best manual focus professional S.L.R. ever.
    I suggest you read the New Canon F1 World which can explain better than I ever could. I like them so much I just bought my third body. http://web.archive.org/web/200704160...worldind1.html
    Last edited by benjiboy; 04-26-2013 at 04:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Ben, That's a nice brochure for the Canon New F-1 and makes a good argument for it as the best manual focus professional S.L.R. ever. You are therefore ranking it as better then the original F-1 and the T-90?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    Ben, That's a nice brochure for the Canon New F-1 and makes a good argument for it as the best manual focus professional S.L.R. ever. You are therefore ranking it as better then the original F-1 and the T-90?
    I have owned in the past two Nikon Fs an F2 and I currently own three T90 bodys ( two of these were gifts from friends who couldn't use them any more because the shutter magnets were stuck from lack of use, they become magnetized ) All the three versions of the F1 are dimensionally almost exactly the same and the controls and handling are almost identical so anyone used to the old one would have no problems with the new one the main difference between the old F1 and the New F1 are that the earlier models the F1 and F1n are purely manual mechanical cameras with matched needle metering and mechanical shutters the new F1 with the standard prism gives matched needle metering, with the AE prism aperture priority metering, and with the addition of the power winder FN or the motor drive FN shutter priority metering.the actual metering cell in the old F1 is Cadmium Sulphide and it runs off a banned Mercury 1.35V PX625 battery, the new F1 has a much more responsive Silicon Photo Diode that will read much lower lighting levels that runs off a either a PX 28 Silver Oxide battery or a PX 28 Lithium one that are easy to obtain these days.
    The shutter on the new F1 is a part mechanical, part electronic one where only the slow speeds from 1/60sec to 8sec are battery dependant all the fast speeds from 1/125 sec to 1/2000 sec are mechanical so the camera will work even if the battery fails.Each of the interchangeable focusing screens are available in a choice of three different light metering patterns, centre weighted, partial, or spot metering and they are very quick to change.
    Finally the materials used in manufacture, weather proofing with rubber seals, general build quality design and engineering and ten years research that went into it's manufacture to improve on the original F1 ( that to be fair some photographers prefer ). make this the best and most robust professional manual focus SLR ever, and I sincerely wish I had bought one in the days that I used to sell them but I had a young family in those days and they cost in 1986 £ 818 ($1,118 U.S.D.) which was much more than I could afford and I had to wait another ten years before I could buy one, and they still command a good price today in good condition.
    If you read Canon New F1 World it will explain it all Les.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 04-27-2013 at 02:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    As I said, the link you pointed out is a good brochure but it doesn't explain how it is that you in your opinion the Canon New F-1 as the best and most robust professional manual focus SLR ever because it doesn't compare any others to it. This time you identify why it is best for you over the T90 (gets magnetized) or the original F-1 due to improved manufacturing, additional auto exposure features, new batteries and metering. You also referenced the Nikon F & F2 and apparently found those lacking.

If you haven't already read it, a seemingly more rounded review - with some comparisons, can be found at Modern Classic SLRs Series : Canon New F-1.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=Les Sarile;1491319]As I said, the link you pointed out is a good brochure but it doesn't explain how it is that you in your opinion the Canon New F-1 as the best and most robust professional manual focus SLR ever because it doesn't compare any others to it. This time you identify why it is best for you over the T90 (gets magnetized) or the original F-1 due to improved manufacturing, additional auto exposure features, new batteries and metering. You also referenced the Nikon F & F2 and apparently found those lacking.

If you haven't already read it, a seemingly more rounded review - with some comparisons, can be found at Modern Classic SLRs Series : Canon New F-1.[/QUOTE

I'm not seeking comparisons Les you are, I'm not a camera reviewer this is just my personal opinion based on my experience if you want what you consider a more objective view I suggest that you do your own research, all I can tell you is I have used sold and handled all these cameras for years, I didn't find the Nikon F or F2 "lacking" they were both first class cameras it depends if you want a purely manual pro SLR or the versatility of a more modern version with the option of the choice of metering patterns and exposure functions, it's just my personal opinion, although I like them I don't consider the T90 to be a fully pro camera because of limited system of viewfinder options, lack of weather sealing and top class materials and manufacturing quality that are required for a fully pro camera and difficulty these days getting of getting them serviced and because pro quality cameras are designed to withstand 100,000 shutter actuations before they need any attention and I doubt if the T90 is capable of this.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Ben, You apparently made comparisons without even knowing it. After all, how else can you repeatedly declare that in your opinion, "Canon New F-1 as the best and most robust professional manual focus SLR ever". Anyway, given your extensive background and enthusiasm of the New F-1, I simply wanted to know the basis of your opinion. No doubt that some 30+ years later, there isn't much we don't already know regarding the technical specifications of these fine machines. Myself, I simply have an appreciation of them.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have F's F2's F3's and Canon F-1's and like all of them however...

My worthless opinion and I don't have much experience with 35mm SLR's ( see signature) I feel the F3 is the best of the era and the most durable pro SLR.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin