Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,266   Online: 736

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Canon F1n first impression and questions

I just received a Canon F-1 (n) yesterday.
    The body is in great condition with very little brassing. The prism has a bit more brassing than the body so either it was added later or the body was in a case for most of its life.

My first impression was that it was this was a camera that meant business. The paint is a matte black instead of a shiny black I was expecting. The dials and levers all have a robust industrial feel to them.

After fuddling with the camera for a while, one thing became apparent. This camera is HEAVY. I am am going to need some weight training if I plan on using this.

The camera I received had the standard prism, not the AE prism. However I found that setting the shutter speed to "A" will allow the camera to change shutter speeds. Is this not aperture priority?

Also one thing I was dissapointed about. From what I understood the F1n had spot metering or average metering. However, I have found that in order to switch from one pattern to another, you actually have to replace the view screen. Certainly not like my T70 that switches back and forth on a moments notice.

Last question: What is the button next to the shutter speed dial labeled "R" for?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    According to the manual 'R' is for rewind.

Intersting, Canon rangefinders have the same thing

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is aperture priority, my preferred way of shooting an F-1. As far as the metering goes, I have several screens for mine, but I stopped bothering with them. If I want to fiddle with metering settings I'll take my T90 along. The F-1 is a wonderful camera, though.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

Seahawks won Superbowl XLVIII.
    Next year's Superbowl is XLIX. Easier to pronounce than XLVIII. Sounds like XLAX.
    I hope that doesn't mean we won't be able to stop the run...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The F1 I have (older type) had semi spot metering which worked for me. I guess it depends on what you like.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Now the quest begins to acquire the lenses and accessories. I have two of the New F1s with motor drives and still use them a lot. You will get a lot of enjoyment from this camera.

Gord

Shooter
    35mm

"R" button¿

Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    I just received a Canon F-1 (n) yesterday.
    The body is in great condition with very little brassing. The prism has a bit more brassing than the body so either it was added later or the body was in a case for most of its life.

Last question: What is the button next to the shutter speed dial labeled "R" for?
    My F1n doesn't have a button with an "R". Are you misreading the marking "A" on the deck next to the shutter release? this is a two position turn switch which unlocks the advance "A" or locks it by turning to the "L" position. You can find a manual for the camera on line at many web sites to download free. I got my first F1 in 1972 when they first came out and later got another so that I carried two of them, one with motor drive and the other without. These were the best cameras I ever owned and I recently purchased and F1n after about 10 years without one. If they made a digital back for that camera it would be the best digital/analog camera in existance. Yes, it is heavy but with a motor drive and a 300mm lens you can handhold all day due to the perfect balance. I love that camera.

For some reason, the prisms on the F1 seem to get more wear than other parts of the camera. Many of the prisms have dents and dings on them, I guess because they protrude above the body so much.

Michael

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It sounds like you have a New F-1, Darin, sometimes called the "F-1N" (but not by Canon), not the F-1n, which was the intermediate version between the original F-1 and the New F-1. This may explain some of the confusion.

I've had mine since I purchased it new around 1982 or so. Great camera.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb380 View Post
    My F1n doesn't have a button with an "R". Are you misreading the marking "A" on the deck next to the shutter release? this is a two position turn switch which unlocks the advance "A" or locks it by turning to the "L" position.
    Michael
    I am not misreading the A on the shutter speed dial. It is indeed a rewind button and it is on the first pic HERE.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    It sounds like you have a New F-1, Darin, sometimes called the "F-1N" (but not by Canon), not the F-1n, which was the intermediate version between the original F-1 and the New F-1. This may explain some of the confusion.
    Huh? and Argh! I didnt know there were 3 versions of the Canon F-1.

-If only canon had been more thoughtful of Ebay auctions before they named the f-1
    Last edited by darinwc; 04-09-2009 at 02:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    Huh? and Argh! I didnt know there were 3 versions of the Canon F-1.

-If only canon had been more thoughtful of Ebay auctions before they named the f-1
    Yep F1,F1n & F1N. The first 2 had only mechanical shutters. I have the same problem with eBay sellers. You have to make sure the photo of the item was from the exact item NOT a stock print they dug up. According to them if it says Canon F1 the parts will work on all three (besides lenses)
    PS. The 1.4 V hearing aid batteries work fine !

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin