Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,178   Online: 892

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Which Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 ?

Which Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 is the best, the breach lock(SSC) or the newer one?

Shooter
    35mm
    well i have one of the newer ones and its sharper than my 24-70 and my 17-40 L series... and from what i was reading earlier today they old ones were stupidly heavy so most people preferred the newer 1.4 or the 55mm f1.2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What do you mean by "best"?

IMO, take whichever one you can get for a good deal and forget worrying about the minor differences. They are all good.

I have the S.S.C. a bit beat up and with fungus, and the new FD version in like mint condition. Both are fine. I prefer the S.S.C. over all, however.

I also find S.S.C. lenses quicker and easier to mount and dismount, and find the aperture rings easier to use.

The S.S.C. is as sharp as I need it to be, even with fungus around the edges. A repair man told me he could fix it for $45. I said forget it. It is worth maybe $20 best case scenario, and it is perfectly sharp!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Both are great, I agree with 2F/2F that on the older one the aperture ring is easier to use.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The SSC and FDn types have better coatings that the older SC and FL lenses.
    But they are all great quality lenses and a bargain price. Imho the SSC lenses have a better build quality but the FDn lenses are lighter. Both are super easy to mount/unmount compared to other brands.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have both and find no optical difference, the breech lock SSC version takes 55mm filters the new type takes 52mm, I tend to use the new one more because most of my other lenses are the new type,so I don't need to use a stepping ring.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tcboucher View Post
    .....and from what i was reading earlier today they old ones were stupidly heavy so most people preferred the newer 1.4 or the 55mm f1.2
    Early FD lenses were built during a time when Canon said spared no expense to build a top quality lens, both optically and mechanically. They are heavier than the later sometimes plastic FDn lenses, but are substantially more robust. I've long since traded my FDn lenses for the earlier FDs'.

Jim B.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Speaking of the fd 50mm f1.4...
    I'd like to mention that I really like it. I think it gives a very nice 3d look to the prints. Moreso that the f1.2.
    Does anyone else feel the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Early FD lenses were built during a time when Canon said spared no expense to build a top quality lens, both optically and mechanically. They are heavier than the later sometimes plastic FDn lenses, but are substantially more robust. I've long since traded my FDn lenses for the earlier FDs'.

Jim B.
    And the old SC is smoother than any
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I love my 'newer' 1.4 quite a bit.
    Chris Klug
    -----------
    My photo life story: http://patternsoflightndark.com/wordpress/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin