Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,549   Online: 954

Shooter
    35mm

What Do You Think of Your Minolta MC 58/1.4 Lens?

I have been working my two Minolta XG-Ms rather heavily lately, and am wondering what others think of the MC 58/1.4 lens? I bought this lens a few months ago, but have taken only a few shots with it. I welcome any comments.

Thanks...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Take more pictures and decide for yourself. IMHO it's a fine lens (most Rokkor glass is) but you have to decide if it works for you.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't be afraid to shoot it wide open -- some of my best pictures of infant nieces and nephews were done that way.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A wonderful lens! Use it for available light photography too.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning;

The predesessor of your lens, the Minolta AUTO ROKKOR-PF f=58mm 1:1.4 lens was my first Minolta lens. I still like it. I do have the 58 mm f 1.2 also, but I use the 1.4 more often with its lighter weight. I also have the MC and other later variants. The ROKKOR glass is still good. The f 1.4 is enough to give you good light for focusing, and a very shallow depth of field when needed. Yes, the additional 1/2 stop of the f 1.2 does even more, but it also weighs more, and I have not found that much additional benefit. Perhaps my eyes will age more and that additional amount will become more significant.

The results on the prints have been very nice for my purposes, both from the f 1.4 and the f 1.2.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    35mm RF
    WONDERFUL lens. The reason I sold my Nikon gear a decade ago and went back to Minolta for manual focus cameras. The bokeh is out of this world.

The f/1.2 is the cult favorite, but for normal shooting I can't tell much difference - except the fact that the f/1.4 sells for about 1/8 the price (or free on a $45 ebay body).
    Jeff M

M3, M5, CLE, Minolta XE7, Minolta Maxxum 9, Minolta Maxxum 9000, Nikon F3HP, etc., etc.

Shooter
    35mm
    This lens was the last of the 50-somethings that I got in my Rokkor lineup and ironically it's now the one that I use the most, more than the MC PG 50/1.4 and MC 50/1.7. I absolutely love it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin