Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,519   Online: 887

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Should I buy a Pentax Spotmatic or the Pentax K1000?

Hi all! I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but here goes. I'm looking to buy either a Spotmatic (any variant, but preferably the F) or a K1000. I'm sure there's a lot of merit and also cons to each but simply...I want a reliable, fully manual (no electronics!) workhorse that will last me a long time.

Honestly, I'm keener on the Spotmatic because of it's M42 mount...cheap lens ahoy (Spotmatic + Helios 44-2...yummy!!)! The K-mount of the K1000 also has cheap lenses, but I'm not sure about how they compare (in price) to those of the M42 lenses.

On the other hand, I read somewhere that most of the M42 lenses uses stop-down metering...correct me if I'm wrong. The thing is, I have no clue on how this stop-down metering thing works because my only experience with a manual film SLR is with my Yashica FX3, which can meter with the aperture wide open. Is stop-down metering a pain? I have a light meter with me, so can I just forget about this stop-down metering thing and just meter with my standalone light meter?

Another concern of mine is...is there any split-prism focusing ring (not sure if this is the right term) on the Spotmatic or the K1000? Or do they just have microprism collars (again, this might be the wrong term) in the VF to aid focusing? I find it very easy to focus using the split circle thingy on my FX3.

I'd appreciate any feedbacks as to which one is better..and if there's any quirks to each of these cameras. It'll help me greatly in deciding what I should get. Thanks all!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are lots of M42 cameras.

There are lots of K mount cameras. You can put the adapter on these and use M42 lenses.

Which to choose depends on what you're looking for. The spotmatic is small and light. That's either an advantage or for some it's a problem. The newest is over 30 years old the oldest over 40 years old. So no matter which you buy you should count on at least a CLA.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I grew up on a Pentax Spotmatic II. Wonderful camera, but I tell my students to get the K1000.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you are interested in the Spotmatic, I would suggest you get the Spotmatic F - it can do open aperture metering with SMC lenses. Otherwise, go for the K-1000.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    There are lots of M42 cameras.

There are lots of K mount cameras. You can put the adapter on these and use M42 lenses.

Which to choose depends on what you're looking for. The spotmatic is small and light. That's either an advantage or for some it's a problem. The newest is over 30 years old the oldest over 40 years old. So no matter which you buy you should count on at least a CLA.
    Yup, noted...a CLA is expected and is no problem for me.

I can do the same with my FX3 too..there's a C/Y mount to M42 mount adapter available. Not sure how well it works though. The thing is...I want another body, it's an addiction! Haha..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinholemaster View Post
    I grew up on a Pentax Spotmatic II. Wonderful camera, but I tell my students to get the K1000.
    Hehe, and why is that? Mind telling?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As for stop down metering, the older M42 lenses need this but the later models have a pin which is pushed in by a plate in the camera stopping down the aperture.

Some cameras meter at fully open aperture, others like my SP500 stop down when the meter is switched on and open up again when it is turned off.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JRJacobs View Post
    If you are interested in the Spotmatic, I would suggest you get the Spotmatic F - it can do open aperture metering with SMC lenses. Otherwise, go for the K-1000.
    Oh, ok..thank you! But ermm, can the F meter wide open with other lenses besides the SMC glass?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    So no matter which you buy you should count on at least a CLA.
    This is quite a common response given to anyone asking about buying old cameras but I have about thirty between twenty and fifty years old and they all seem to work well. I can't see any reason to send any of them away for CLA.

Perhaps I have just been lucky.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by altair View Post
    Oh, ok..thank you! But ermm, can the F meter wide open with other lenses besides the SMC glass?
    Any M42 lens with the aperture stop down pin, usually marked 'Automatic' somewhere in the description (so not with the Helios 44-2).

Steve.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin