Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,158   Posts: 1,614,162   Online: 1082

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

For an inexpensive Change From 35mm

What FILM camera would you choose as an inexpensive change from a 35mm camera? This would be for a teenager who would enjoy working with a different film. I was thinking TLR, but would like to read opinions. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    How about a medium format folder.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In a TLR I've used and like the Mamiya 330. A folder is also a good choice. For B & W they might enjoy a Voigtlander RF. My most used medium format currently is either a Diana + or a Brownie Hawkeye. Check out the Diana at http://www.lomography.com/diana/. BIll Barber

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 Olives View Post
    What FILM camera would you choose as an inexpensive change from a 35mm camera? This would be for a teenager who would enjoy working with a different film. I was thinking TLR, but would like to read opinions. Thanks.
    Holga
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Either a TLR or a pinhole. The pinhole Holgas are not a bad way to go. My new favorite camera is a pinhole I made from a Ricoh TLR with a frozen focus helicoid. I removed the glass lenses and made the pinhole using a pop can and a needle. I also do like the Holga, but I think you need to first become pretty comfortable in the darkroom to get consistently good prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yashica TLR.
    A C220 as a good second choice. I would suggest a folder but with only guesstimate focusing for most of them, this might not hold the kid's interest. A C220 with a 65 mm lens will kick butt whether they are into street shooting or landscapes. if they are into portrait type stuff, a 105 or 180 mm lens are pretty reasonable these days. heck, it's all reasonable. The Yashica is very light and small.

If you want to spring for a bit more, M645 equipment is dirt cheap too and usually comes with a metered prism.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Another vote for a TLR. Its very different operating feel made me rethink my views on cameras when I first picked one up. Lots of fun and unique in our SLR dominated world.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Teenager? Get them something simple and something that won't make you cry when they drop it.

I guess it depends on the kid. Some are very careless with their belongings, while some aren't.

If we're talking about a careful kid, then I probably would look at a TLR -- Yashica or maybe a Rolleicord or even a medium-range folding camera.

If we're talking about a rough and tumble kid, then possibly a Holga (which could also be a good choice for the careful kid).

In either case, I would opt for something as simple as possible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My reason for suggesting a folder is that (a) they are very cool, even today and (b) they are very compact. Teenagers these days are so used to pocket gizmos, they probably don't want to schlep anything large. On the other hand, with some old cameras there may be that puppydog effect:

Aww, that's cool, can I have a look?
    It's my 100 year old film camera.
    Wow, you know how to shoot film?
    Sure. Say, are you doing anything tonight?

And so forth.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    TLR. Even thought they look different, they are surprisingly friendly to use. My Yashica 12 has amazingly accurate match-needle metering and focusing is a delight with the big top viewscreen.

Folders are only inexpensive if they come without a meter and a rangefinder. So that works only if you have a very experienced teenager, or one patient enough to carry and use an accessory light meter and rangefinder (or tape measure!)
    My other camera is a Pentax

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin