Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,725   Online: 967

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why not go with Canon A-1?

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by relix View Post
    Any such second-hand sites in Europe? I've found a few through Google but none carries the Olympus OM2
    Ffordes are listing several from 85 GBP up.
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to do weddings in the 80's and used OM1n and OM2n bodies + various lenses. Via a circuitous route (which, over the years, included owning AE-1, A-1 and T90 + others) I now have an OM1 and OM2n again.

For me, the OM1 / 2 / 3 / 4 models are true classics. There's absolutely nothing wrong with an AE-1 and, if shutter priority is your thing then it's the one to choose, however, the OMs are just beautiful little jewels as well as exceptionally capable cameras.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    Why not go with Canon A-1?

Jeff
    The A-1 does look very interesting! 5 differint program modes (including Aperture priority), and aperture + shutter speed shown in the viewfinder.

Hmmm...

You're not making it easy to choose

Shooter
    35mm
    Another big difference between Canon AE-1 and Olympus OM-2N is that on auto mode, the OM-2N reads the light off the first curtain during exposure. Once the AE-1 mirror goes up, the meter is locked and creating an exposure from memory. The Canon line also used foam in the shutter mechanism that is commonly found as light seal around the camera back. This foam (as everyone knows) breaks down and turns to tar. Okay if it's only in the back, but in the shutter it affects shutter speeds and the tar may start to show up on the curtains themselves. A BIG repair job. John, www.zuiko.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Olympus users are a rather strange bunch. We tend to think of our OM's as usable Leicas.

Would I pick the Canon over an Olympus of this era? Well, let's put it this way--the late Herbert Keppler's personal axe of choice was the Olympus. That should say something.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    35mm
    If you are looking for a good auto/manual camera body, don't forget about the Pentax ME Super. They tend to be pretty affordable. It has shutter buttons that take a bit of getting used to, but it is a great compact camera (slightly smaller than my OM2n) with a solid hotshoe
    I have lots of 35mm cameras but the one I used the most is an extremely well-used ME Super. It must have been through 10 years as a film student loaner camera or something, because I have never seen a more beat up camera that still works. The focusing screen is ugly to look through and every corner is physically worn smooth, but it's quieter than my better-conditioned ME, lighter and smaller than any other 35mm camera I have, the aperture priority meter is still spot-on even for 30s night exposures, and I don't have to worry about cosmetically damaging it. It's in my backpack right now, while all my "better" cameras are at home on the shelf.

The only complaint I have is that I do not find the manual mode usable between the pushbutton adjustment and the awkward match-LED metering system. I've been keeping my eyes open for an OM1 for that reason.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Relix,

The last several cameras I picked up off e-bay all needed foam and light seals replaced. I'm pretty certain some said "good working condition" or something similar. I've had very good success at KEH and feel they are very respectable.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, every OM-1, 1N, 2, 2N I see now for overhaul need new foam at the hinge, slot and mirror areas. John, www.zuiko.com

Shooter
    35mm
    This thread was made for me, these were my two first SLRs. If you can find a decently priced OM-2 (which can be hard), get one of those. They're fantastic, and the Zuiko lenses are absolutely stunning. I'd choose the OM-2 over the AE-1 for its aperture priority AND manual mode, smaller build/weight and much more quiet operation. BUT it does have a few niggles, most importantly that the ISO only goes to 1600 ISO, also the lenses are VERY expensive.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin