Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,817   Posts: 1,581,641   Online: 772

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Message from Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Hyun View Post
    Hello all, my first post here on APUG. I'm Hyun. I hail from sunny California.

One criteria is that I'd really like whichever camera I get to be readily available from some place like KEH, Adorama, or B&H used departments.
    If you'd like to contact me directly, I would be happy to put you in touch with Joel in the Adorama used department, who could talk through possible options with you.
    Our return policy is as follows: if you are dissatisfied with your purchase, you may return it within 14 days of receipt for an exchange or refund.
    You are also covered for 90 days from receipt of an item, to return it for repair if required.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely

Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
    www.adorama.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Right now my main film body is Canon Elan 7N. I am looking for a small (smaller the better) camera that has manual control over aperture and shutter speeds. I have the Olympus Stylus Epic, which is a great little camera, but is fully automatic. I'd like something that I can pocket (like the Stylus Epic) and carry around with me.
    SLR or RF or P&S? Do you have any preference in style?

Okay, for P&S, there's not much to choose from when it comes down to the manual control, but I would say, Contax T3 or Ricoh GR1. But since you have Oly Stylus, which is a pretty decent and useful camera, maybe you don't need another P&S.

For SLR, you say you have Canon Elan. I don't know what kind of lens you have for it, but you might wanna try a smaller fixed focus length lens first and see if you're happy with the size and the weight with the camera.

For RF, I agree with others here that something like Canonet GIII is a good idea.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I know this is a bit big to meet your criteria, but I just have to give a shout out to the venerable Pentax Spotmatic. A great series of small SLRs--just slightly larger than a Leica--with some great lenses to boot. A little big for your pocket but still a viable option as a smaller alternative to today's SLRs.

Shooter
    35mm

Thank you for all the replies!

Thank you for all the replies so far. I'm looking for something definitely smaller than a SLR, so the Olympus OMs and Pentax MX seem to be out (they're SLRs, right?). I think a small rangefinder with a fixed lens is what would work for me; maybe the aforementioned Canonet or Rollei 35.

One thing that's come up in my research so far is that a lot of older rangefinder cameras use mercury batteries that are no longer available. Are there replacement, readily-available batteries for those?

Thank you again, all.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The Olympus XA fits your bill and will definitely fit into a pocket.
    Luke

To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage.

Georgia O'Keefe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    a lot of older rangefinder cameras use mercury batteries that are no longer available. Are there replacement, readily-available batteries for those?

See this site. Lots of good tips.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks very much, Keith!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are there replacement, readily-available batteries for those?

Thank you again, all.
    Lots of work-arounds for the non-existent mercury batteries. Zinc-air batteries or Schottke diodes work for me.

Would you consider a half-frame camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yashica Electro 35 GSN or MG-1. For battery a Duracell PX28A with a cardboard for fit and a little spring for reach. You should also consider the Ricoh GX-500 (especially small with a 40mm 2.8 lens sharp as a tack)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The OP wanted a compact, pocketable camera.
    Canonet Glll, Olympus 35RC or SP will all be larger than the Stylus but are the three best options.
    These will be slightly heavier than the Stylus. Life's a compromise ain't it?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin