Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,545,005   Online: 772

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Smelly Camera Gear

I have been buying used camera equipment for a while now, and have run across some pieces of gear that have given off some rather strong odors. Such odors tend to give me headaches and congestion. Some months ago, I had to get rid of a rather nice Pentax ME body because its leatherette stunk of some type of cologne or chemical cleaner. I tried everything (everything natural, that is) to get rid of the odor--rubbing alcohol, vinegar, Bon Ami, assorted natural spray cleaners, and even an organic enzyme cleaner/deodorizer. Nothing was able to eradicate the odor, and I tried for a period of two weeks.

I just received a Minolta G winder that is in fairly nice shape--but it has the dreaded odor! I think the most amazing thing about all this is that it is the SAME odor that the Pentax ME had. Does anybody have any suggestions? As far as I can tell, I will have to return the Minolta G winder.

Thanks...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Someone once recommended putting the offending items in a plastic bag with ground coffee for a couple of weeks. Never tried, but I've received some very funky items with odors best not described.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
    Someone once recommended putting the offending items in a plastic bag with ground coffee for a couple of weeks. Never tried, but I've received some very funky items with odors best not described.
    I seem to recall encountering similar advice once, but I believe the item was white bread, not coffee. May Odor-Eaters would work....

(OTOH, with any of these items, I'd be a little concerned about either adding a new odor or damaging the camera from chemicals, mold, etc.)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I had a smelly camera, too. It smelled of smoked meat when I bought it. I cleaned it and I put it in a bag with a small cup with baking soda and a few packets of desiccant for a few days. It worked great!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ground coffee and any camera won't coexist well together. You may get rid of the smell but get some fine dust inside. There are special packs of fridge deodorisers which is in fact backing soda known for absorbing odours. We have a brand here called Arm and Hammer, you may find something similar. The advantage is these paks don't spill over any dust to contaminate the camera. Seal one of these in a ziplog bag with the camera and let it there for a week or so. Nothing is actually 100% guaranteed.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Many people have suggested wiping the offending equipment with a fabric softener sheet like Fabreze. It seems to work wonders, though I admit to not having tried it myself.

Shooter
    35mm
    I thank all of you for your suggestions. I have the winder in a zip-lock bag with a cup of baking soda and a few dessicant packs. I gave the winder a quick sniff after 12 hours, and there does not seem to be any change.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    Many people have suggested wiping the offending equipment with a fabric softener sheet like Fabreze. It seems to work wonders, though I admit to not having tried it myself.
    If filmonly is sensitive to artificial scents, I'm betting Febreze bugs them too. I can't stand it, and it hasn't helped to get the doggy odor out of my husbands truck either.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm surprised an enzyme-based cleaner didn't do the trick... the stuff is apparently used to clean up crime scenes (according to Mythbusters, anyway). Maybe the area that smells is actually not accessible without taking the item apart.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sometimes leaving the item in the sun (UV) can eliminate the cause of certain organic odors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin