Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,012   Posts: 1,524,700   Online: 817

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Abused cameras?

Shooter
    35mm
    I handle my equipment carefully, and tend to buy excellent or near-mint condition gear. I think old cameras have character, but I am not a collector in the true sense of the term--perhaps I am a "user" with a "collector" tendency.

I, too, do not understand why or how folks abuse or mistreat their cameras. Being careful is not that challenging, at least for me. I would not want to purchase a piece of equipment that has been dropped or banged around.

Contemporary cameras are so ugly that all of us film fans should baby our cameras. I suppose I could buy a digital camera, but, aside from the fact that I believe film to be superior, those plastic blobs called DSLRs lack design aesthetics.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My Nikon F5 looks digital! But it is made of metal.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While most of my camera bodies are in excellent+ condition, I recently purchased a somewhat beat up Pentax LX with good mechanics and sent it for CLA. Why? Decent price point and a "theft resistant" finish. I may rough up the leatherette as it looks too new.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thanks--now wheres my present LOL
    Keep shooting!!!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    My cameras are my friends. I neither abuse them, but nor do I protect them from experiencing life. They are aging slowly and gracefully.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't thrown them down or treat them rough, but I don't baby them either. I don't put them up in dust proof cases and just look at them. Cameras are meant to be used. A little wear is OK, but if I abuse them too much then they don't take good pictures.

Now, I do have a few "junk store" cameras that I'm not too careful with. One was converted into a pinhole camera, and the others are great for when I just want a few quick snaps. Now my digital cameras are a different story. Those stinking LCDs are too fragile and too expensive to replace (I just got through replacing them on two cameras) not to take care of.

So I guess it all depends.

Michael

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Michael, you just need cameras that you can abuse a lot, and still have them take good pictures :P
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My Rolleiflex is very ugly and shoots very well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    there machines, tools like typewriters or paint brushes, it always bothers me when cameras look to mint, it is like they are not being used and are show pieces, a few scratches and scrapes is good for a camera, it shows it's loved!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like Jason says, my cameras are my friends. They get used a lot, but never abused. They have a few dings and scratches, mostly from previous owners. My 1929 speed graphic looks like it was made 90 years ago and performs flawlessly.

Rick.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin