Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,928   Posts: 1,556,826   Online: 887

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmOnly View Post
    I had a Rollei SL35E briefly. It seemed like a nice camera, and I had heard that the lenses are quite good, but I parted with it because I do not like lens systems that offer only full-stop detents. I shoot prints, and I like having a positive stop for half-stops. Likewise, this is why I never invested in Nikon manual focus gear.
    This is the SLR -- it's a different camera from the Rollei 35 series.

The Singapore-made Rollei 35mm SLRs do NOT enjoy a good reputation for mechanical and electronic reliability, although the lenses are very good and often were similar or the same as those available for the Contarex.

There also was available a line of lower-priced Rolleinars (reportedly made by Mamiya) that are very good lenses.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here I am to chime in once more. With the Rollei 35s, I believe the word ergonomics had not been translated into German when the designer/engineers went to work.

And who needs a nesting lens that can break the shutter if you do not leave the shutter cocked when putting it back into the body. And even with the lens nested, it would not easily into any pocket conveniently. Why have a pocketable camera that bulges out your pockets, even when one is wearing a photo vest?

And, of course, it's best to keep in in the little zip case when you have it bulging in your pocket; and don't forget that little bayonet lens cap which falls of everywhere. Oh, yes, use a cap keeper on the lens cap to add to the "convenience" of a pocketable camera. What a crock!

Of course, flash pictures were a real hoot: "Ach, ja, holt die Kamera upsidethedown und dann pushda buttin auf fuer makin' der Pigdture."

There is no doubt the Rollei 35 can cut a really sharp image, but, to me, they were never worth the hassle. Your mileage may vary.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I brought mine out of retirement this winter and was pleasantly surprised. My favourite shot into spotlights indoors:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16449896@N00/3149891670/
    robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Singapore 35T and love the quality of the images it produces, the camera itself is 'quirky' to put it mildly but something smaller than a pack of cigs that uses 35mm full frame-I take mine in my backpack when i cycle.
    here is a test with some 100% crops
    Rollei 35T test
    Really lovely lens...

Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I didn't know that anscojohn could speak German.

Great little cameras, and I completely agree that the deck top meter of the 35, 35T, and 35S, is far more convenient than the viewfinder meter LED's of the 35 TE and SE.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=frank;786685]I didn't know that anscojohn could speak German.

John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a couple of them: one loaded with HIE (w/ an 87 filter on the lens), another with Kodachrome. I love these cameras. When I can't lug an SLR or bigger, these fit the bill. Most of the time they are set at f/11 and the focus at the hyperfocal distance. I ahave been happy with the results. It takes a little practice to get used to framing/focusing and I will be the first to admit they are not for everyone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by panastasia View Post
    Peter,

The 35S, isn't that the silver anniversary model made in Singapore? If so, I also bought new about 25 years ago, two in fact, and gave them away as gifts. I believe they're now collectible items if they weren't engraved. They cost me $200 each (new) and I noticed one selling for $800 about ten years ago, at KEH. I'm not sure about the 'S', maybe it stood for the lens - Sonnar - very sharp!

I remember the excellent photos they produced. I tested them before I gave them away.

Paul
    I have one of those... the Silver Edition, that is. It is a 35S, but as another poster explained, all 35S's are not Silver Editions. I used to have a Gold 35S, but sold it some years ago. They both are excellent cameras, capable of taking great photos, within their limits. It's a good camera for street work, as you can prefocus and carry it in the palm of your hand, shooting from the hip without looking through the viewfinder.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You learn something every day. I thought the S stood for Singapore. I really like mine as well. They're not that quirky - except for the fact all the frame numbers come out backwards.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't have any personal experience, but I talked with a man who really enjoys his.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin