Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,658   Online: 1105

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have the 35s which stands for sonnar and don't find it quirky at all though I do find that my distance guesstimations are further off than I thought they would be. When you get it sharp it is sharp. It is easy to hand hold at a slow speed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have had the 35T & 35S since the late 1970s. I don't see much difference between them. No problems with them, hand holding at slow speeds. I agree that a different camera might do the job better, BUT thats the case with anything. These are about the most compact QUALITY all manual full frame 35 camera to be found. I like the fact that they will sync with flash at ALL speeds. I like to go to open air classic car shows. I use Fuji 200 color print film. Clamp a Vivitar 285 on the Rollei. Carry a pocket Leitz or Voigtlander rangefinder in my pocket. Yes, I have to turn the camera upside down to get the flash on top. I shoot syncro sun, the exteriors AND interiors of the cars I like. The 40mm lens is perfect in coverage plus lets me get close enough to keep people walking between me and the cars. Yet long enough to prevent much distortion. Perfect to carry in a flight suit while flying, others carried Pen half frames. My full frame shots were always far better than theirs. The only thing I found is that both the T & S models were subject to flare when shot into the sun.
    All the best,
    Sam H.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Rollie 35 with the 40 mm, f/3.5 Tessar. The lens behaves just as you'd expect a good Tessar to behave. It's very nice at modest apertures and falls off a bit at the edges when opened fairly wide. That said, you're not likely to use it wide open very much because there is no rangefinder and focusing is by guesstimation.

I agree that it is a quirky camera. Convenient ergonomics was not at the top of list when it was designed. But it works and it works well for what it is, and that's why I like it.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for the responses. Guess I'll have to take it with me this weekend and run a roll. Btw, what filters does this thing take? I guess I could hold a round filter in front for that matter.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Btw, what filters does this thing take?

Surprise, surprise it is nothing very common, to be sure. It's 30.5 mm. FWIW, a place called Surplus Shed, in Pennsylvania, has a sale on filters that size. Can't recall if they are ND or IA, but you could lukitup. Five bucks a piece, I think. And an outfit called Virtual Village, on Egregious Bay sells nice, Leica-like slotted metal lens hoods for about fourteen bucks if shipping is included.

I guess I could hold a round filter in front for that matter.

Do that whislt taking a flash picture, holding the camera upside down On second thought, it might be easier to just stand on your head!!(vbg)
    Last edited by Anscojohn; 04-22-2009 at 03:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    I used to own the budget model (35B?). Much of what has been said was also my experience, very nice pictures, strange camera to use.

The filters used to cost a fortune!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Guess I'll have to take it with me this weekend and run a roll. Btw, what filters does this thing take? I guess I could hold a round filter in front for that matter.
    If you can find any accessories for the old Pentax 110 SLR, the lenses have the same size screw threads. I came across a folding rubber filter for the Pentax, and it's still mounted on my Silver 35S.
    For a lens cap, I use a film canister cap. I think it's from an old roll of Fujifilm; it fits perfectly into the threads of the hood.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Btw, what filters does this thing take?

Surprise, surprise it is nothing very common, to be sure. It's 30.5 mm. FWIW, a place called Surplus Shed, in Pennsylvania, has a sale on filters that size. Can't recall if they are ND or IA, but you could lukitup. Five bucks a piece, I think. And an outfit called Virtual Village, on Egregious Bay sells nice, Leica-like slotted metal lens hoods for about fourteen bucks if shipping is included.

I guess I could hold a round filter in front for that matter.

Do that whislt taking a flash picture, holding the camera upside down On second thought, it might be easier to just stand on your head!!(vbg)
    I measured mine and it's 23.5 to inside threads so thats probably a 24mm filter
    W.A. Crider

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format

A reliable companion

I bought my 35S brand new in the early 80's and it has served me well for over 20 years. I was never really careful with it. I stuck it in my pocket, in my back pack, in the side pocket of the car door or were ever there was some space left. It´s a ruf life for a camera but it goes with you were ever you go. Other cameras can give you better focused and better exposed pictures but the Rollei 35 can give you pictures from those unexpected moments when you wish you had a good camera ( and it is a good camera ! ). A few years ago it finally broke down and is now replaced by a well kept second hand 35 T. Both cameras will give you excelent picture quality once you learn to master focusuíng with the meter/foot scale and get to know the not so precise exposure meter. Today there is an extra problem with the exposure meter as it runs on PX 625 bateries ( 1,35 V ). These mercury based bateries are no longer available, and most replacements with the same dimensions are 1,5 V. You may have to reset the exposure index on the camera in order to get a corect reading.
    When my 35 S finally gave up it´s breath, it left a heritage of many thousand negatives containing the history of my family. In some periods I could just take the camera out of my pocket, focus on what so ever and take a picture. The bare "click" sound from the shutter could cheer me up for hours.
    My advice is to load it with your favourite ASA 400 black and white film, keep it with you where ever you go and use it in all those quiet or overwhelming moments that life lets you go through.
    Good luck and best regards from
    Karl-Gustaf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a 30.5 mm filter. I bought a new one from the Filter Connection, plus a couple of adapters so I could use my 52mm filters. I suspect 30.5 might be used on digital cameras, can't think of why they'd have new ones if not. You can buy a gadget from ChrisCameras that changes the voltage on a common button 1.5 volt battery to 1.35 volts.

http://criscam.com/products_services...tery_adapters/
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin