Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,750   Posts: 1,515,792   Online: 972

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by flashgumby View Post
    And if she doesn't like film, there's plenty of other women

Anyway, while I agree that if the price is right it would be good to pick up a cheap MTL3 or L35AD, if it's an unsuitable gift there might be 'relationship consequences' that sour the great bargain :o

Gordon
    Well I suppose giving her an MTL3, she could say "is that all I'm worth"...LOL

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IMO, a great bargain these days is the Nikon 801/8008, as long as you don't mind buttons and wheels, in place of dials and levers as found on older cameras.
    Art should unsettle the comfortable, and comfort the unsettled.

My photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In Nikon camp the best deal as far as features is the N80. Very light, great screen and fast AF. I would say the Nikon 8008s would be a step behind. I'm unfamiliar with the late Canon AF models and I would probably steer her clear of the manual focus FD ones which are my choice. Not because their not good, they just usually need a CLA and are heavier but great picture takers. I have two Minolta's for sale for a friend with or without a lens and cheap; A 7000 and a 7000i. Their bigger bodies then the N80. Everyone else will chime in on their favorites.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    If you are looking to go new, I would say your only option is the Nikon FM10
    While I dislike the FM10 for its "plasticy" feel and lack of a PC connector, I would say that this is a good option, and that buying new is perhaps the most sensible option in this case. They are reasonably priced, take great lenses, and you know will have a warranty if you run into any repair issues (which you likely will not).

Also new, there is the Vivitar line of cameras, which are more crappy, but are cheaper, and also a very reasonable entry level camera that is available in a kit with the 50mm f/1.7. They take Pentax K-mount lenses, which are plentiful, good quality, and very reasonably priced on the used market.

If you have a larger budget, I'd go for the Nikon. If not, I'd go for the Viv.

While you could get a super sweet more professional body on the used market for just as much, in this situation, I think you are better off going for a brand new low-end camera as a starting point. If she wants to continue and finds the camera restrictive, she can move up to a nicer model.

Here they are at Freestyle: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/c1802-...mm-Camera-Kits. The Nikon comes with a zoom and the Viv comes with a 50.

Please support this great shop if you can.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 04-23-2009 at 07:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have to disagree with W.A.Crider over the relative merits of the N80 and 8008s viewfinders : the latter has a large bright v/f which is a joy to use with my manual focus lenses.
    But possibly a little heavy and bulky for (some) feminine mitts.
    The FE2 would be ideal.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    While I dislike the FM10 for its "plasticy" feel and lack of a PC connector, I would say that this is a good option, and that buying new is perhaps the most sensible option in this case. They are reasonably priced, take great lenses, and you know will have a warranty if you run into any repair issues (which you likely will not).
    I personally disagree with this, for the price of the FM10 new, you could buy a used Nikon F3 and 50mm from KEH. A lot better quality camera with more features and a better feel.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The OP has not given us any more to go on than a gift for his gf..

I suggest we close this thread until he responds with more info. Otherwise he will likely get more answers than there are cameras.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hey guys, sorry about the slow response. Thanks for all the quick answers! Basically I'm just looking for something reliable and decently priced. She doesn't have any experience with manual photography so that's why I think it at the very least needs a meter. I doubt she'd mind having a manual focus camera - she used both of my cameras and seemed to like them just fine.

One thing I do want to get is something that's sort of "pretty". I originally wanted to get her a TLR because she liked mine, but I got out of that idea because of the meter problem... but I sort of mentioned the handheld meter and she didn't seem to mind that. So maybe I'll still go for something like that. Actually, I'm probably going to spend some time researching since she's going to visit her family out-of-state for a few weeks, so maybe I'll have something figured out by the time she's back.

I think I might also like the idea of an M42-mount camera. I use all M42 lenses on my digital Pentax K10D, so I'm familiar with the lenses and such available.

Chaplain Jeff: Unfortunately I use a Hasselblad 500C/M and don't have the money to get her one of those

So basically what do you guys think would be a very decent beginner's camera with room to grow? Here are some guidelines:

$150 or less for body + lens
    Preferably M42-mount
    Maybe metal rather than plastic
    In-camera metering

I know it's not very specific but I guess I'll just end up having to pick out some of the names you've mentioned here and find one.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Nikon FE (FE2) and 50mm lens, or a Pentax ME Super & 50mm lens are both good choices. Since this is a camera for a woman, I think I'd opt for the little ME Super.
    Dann Fassnacht
    Aberdeen, WA USA

glockman99@hotmail.com
    -------------------------------------
    My film cameras are all Nikons: F3HP, F4s, N90s, N8008, N8008s.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Older Yashica Electro-TL's and Fujicas (pre-X mount series) are pretty decent M42's. Bigger than an ME super or an EM but cheap enough for you to spring for a CLA and new seals and still fit the budget. Chinon also made some decent bodies but they're bigger and ones I've seen all have dead meters. Good Pentax M42's are getting pricy compared to the lesser cachet makes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin