Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,802   Online: 993

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm

Good 35mm SLR

I can't see buying a new Nikon FM10. It's the same Cosina made camera as the Vivitar V4000S. The Vivitars can be bought for $25 and are just as good. If you are worried about how long they might last, buy two of them. I 55/1.8 or 55/2 SMC Pentax lens will give results on par with what you will get from any version of the 50/1.8 manual focus Nikkor. The meter in the V4000S is sensitive and accurate and the viewfinder will be brighter than that of any old M42 mount camera with the exception of the Bessaflex. The Bessaflex is a really overpriced V4000S with an M42 mount. You can find some extra lenses with the K mount for not too much.

I agree that a Nikon FE can be a good choice. They don't sell for very much so it's the condition you are looking for. I also use an old N2020. I say old but the N2020 is from 1986 while the FE is from 1978. I recently bought an N2020 for $10 and it works very well. It has rather rudimentary auto focusing but I use it as a manual focus camera with a built in winder. It also has a sensitive and accurate meter. The only problem with the N2020 is that pre-AI lenses will simply not fit becase the AI tab can't be flipped up. The FE will meter in stop down mode with pre-AI lenses as long as the AI tab is flipped up.

An old mechanical Nikkormat like an FT2 or FT3 is nice too but these have been out of production for so long that most of them need the $100 (or more) overhaul. A Minolta X-370, X-570 or X-700 in good condition is also nice. These cameras will take either MC or MD mount lenses. The MC lenses just won't work in the Program mode with the X-700.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Canon A-1

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blankk View Post

I think I might also like the idea of an M42-mount camera. I use all M42 lenses on my digital Pentax K10D, so I'm familiar with the lenses and such available.

Here are some guidelines:

$150 or less for body + lens
    Preferably M42-mount
    Maybe metal rather than plastic
    In-camera metering

I say go to KEH and look under Pentax. Buy a screw mount adapter and whatever you want to spend on the camera and lens. If she doesn't like it return it and buy something else. She can use your lenses in between and figure out if film his for her. Beyond that it's a crap shoot. I wouldn't go nuts researching everything people suggest, I'd stay in the lens line you have and buy a body for her. The ME's as you probably know are small and will probably fit her hands better.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm RF
    [QUOTE=blankk;788033]...Basically I'm just looking for something reliable and decently priced. She doesn't have any experience with manual photography so that's why I think it at the very least needs a meter. I doubt she'd mind having a manual focus camera - she used both of my cameras and seemed to like them just fine.

...So basically what do you guys think would be a very decent beginner's camera with room to grow?...
    QUOTE]

Hello,

Now if it were TRUE LOVE, you'd get her a 'blad.

Seriously though, any of the cameras mentioned will be good for her. I mentioned the XG-se in particular because she is, as you said a "girl" and might want something pretty. The XGse is basically an XG1, but a very pretty (IMO), black bodied one.

I owned an N80 and don't recommend it for any serious use, but it was a good enough camera for my wife to use when she wanted something less "serious" than my F4e. The upside to the N80 is that you used to be able to get the F80 (Euro model?) in pink and other colors. She might enjoy that. If she's like my wife and is interested mainly because you are, the F3, A1, etc., are probably "too much" camera for her. She probably just wants to enjoy the things you enjoy because you do - and that means getting her something easy and enjoyable. If she catches on, then look into something more serious. Either Nikon or Minolta have lots of room to grow.

If she really likes TLRs, the Yashica 124G has a meter on it. It's not TTL, but the one I used in the 80's was accurate though. Shooting it gave me a headache though - never got used to the mirror image thing.

Good luck and let us know what you end up deciding.
    Jeff M

M3, M5, CLE, Minolta XE7, Minolta Maxxum 9, Minolta Maxxum 9000, Nikon F3HP, etc., etc.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If your girlfriend has relatively small hands, I'd consider an Olympus OM2n in Bargain condition from KEH. OM2 cameras have great ergonomics for those with smaller hands (most women.....and me!) and they use modern batteries. OM1 is great too (my personal choice) but it uses a mercury battery unless converted.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=Chaplain Jeff;788334]
    Quote Originally Posted by blankk View Post
    ...Basically I'm just looking for something reliable and decently priced. She doesn't have any experience with manual photography so that's why I think it at the very least needs a meter. I doubt she'd mind having a manual focus camera - she used both of my cameras and seemed to like them just fine.

...So basically what do you guys think would be a very decent beginner's camera with room to grow?...
    QUOTE]

Hello,

Now if it were TRUE LOVE, you'd get her a 'blad.

Seriously though, any of the cameras mentioned will be good for her. I mentioned the XG-se in particular because she is, as you said a "girl" and might want something pretty. The XGse is basically an XG1, but a very pretty (IMO), black bodied one.

I owned an N80 and don't recommend it for any serious use, but it was a good enough camera for my wife to use when she wanted something less "serious" than my F4e. The upside to the N80 is that you used to be able to get the F80 (Euro model?) in pink and other colors. She might enjoy that. If she's like my wife and is interested mainly because you are, the F3, A1, etc., are probably "too much" camera for her. She probably just wants to enjoy the things you enjoy because you do - and that means getting her something easy and enjoyable. If she catches on, then look into something more serious. Either Nikon or Minolta have lots of room to grow.

If she really likes TLRs, the Yashica 124G has a meter on it. It's not TTL, but the one I used in the 80's was accurate though. Shooting it gave me a headache though - never got used to the mirror image thing.

Good luck and let us know what you end up deciding.

Hey guys,

I actually did go with a Yashica 124G that I found in excellent condition for about $120. She had originally said how she liked my other TLR so I was a little hesitant about the 35mm SLRs (great as they are) because she might have just liked how it looked. :$ Hopefully it'll work out.

Thanks for all the help!

Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=blankk;788498]
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Jeff View Post

Hey guys,

I actually did go with a Yashica 124G that I found in excellent condition for about $120. She had originally said how she liked my other TLR so I was a little hesitant about the 35mm SLRs (great as they are) because she might have just liked how it looked. :$ Hopefully it'll work out.

Thanks for all the help!
    Good choice. I've had a couple of those over the years. That large 2&1/4 X 2&1/4 negative is very nice compared to the little 35mm negative.
    Dann Fassnacht
    Aberdeen, WA USA

glockman99@hotmail.com
    -------------------------------------
    My film cameras are all Nikons: F3HP, F4s, N90s, N8008, N8008s.

Shooter
    35mm
    If MF then find a Nikon FE or FE2 on ebay or local second-hand shop.
    If AF then you could get a F100.
    You friend should have a great time with either one.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin