Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,768   Online: 940

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nikon FM3A

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would like to dispel some statements suggesting that the FM3a has a dark viewfinder. This couldn't be further from the truth. It actually has a wonderful viewfinder. As with any SLR, its brightness depends on how fast the lens is that you put on it. But it's very bright, and very focussable - totally unlike the sad excuses for ground glass that's found in autofocus SLRs. It's not a high eye-point viewfinder, but on the other hand, unlike those, it has a very high magnification factor. Some might say that's better - I would. It's a direct descendant of the legendary F, and it even looks like it - except that it doesn't have interchangeable prisms (interchangeable focus screens though). It's the only classic 35mm SLR you can buy new off the shelf today, and it's wonderfully metal, mechanical and manual (with added aperture priority for when you need it). It's hard not to fall in love with it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I agree with Pierre. I wear glasses and have not had a single problem with the viewfinder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Buy the FM3a and be done with it. It has been my experience with buying 35mm slrs on Ebay or telling others what to buy, that the chances of getting a camera that craps out after about 50-100 rolls of film are pretty good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    about the viewfinder display... I have a FE which has a FM3a like shutter/exposure display (actually, the FM3a has a FE like display!) and a FM2n with the led 0 - + display. In different situations, either can be better (or worse!) The LED display is great for dark environments, but can be hard to see if the suns coming over your shoulder and getting past your eye/head into the viewfinder. The FE tells you the shutter speed selected (both in manual and auto modes) and the exposure needle shows over/under exposure to a finer degree than the LED system (+/- 1/2 stop I think). The needle can be very hard to see in dim lighting. Overall, I prefer the FE style one, but I've had that camera for 20+ years and the FM2n for only 3 or so, so I might be biased

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have got it! After a bit too long waitning - manual lenses are probably non standart in tudays market and so I had to wait for delivery from Dutch to Prague to Bratislava.

Looks great, viewfinder is absolutly amazing, needle meter intuitive, and yes, in dark it is confusing... AE button is well placed. It is smaller than old Praktika, but fit perfect. Shooter is fantastic.

Uff... it looks to be too good to be true. I'm happy like a little boy... Thanks all again for your opinions

Images
    That should be a great camera for you.

Happy Shooting!
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    thanks, Neal

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have had 2 FM3A's and while they are simply wonderful cameras, I sold them once I discovered the Nikon FE. Pros: cheap, cheap, cheap. Results are the same and the whole business of going manual if the batteries goes is really bunk. First off I carry an extra battery in my wallet and second they last forever. Am I missing something? I paid $75 for my FE and spend the rest on glass.
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't think you are missing anything, except possibly the dates on all the previous post's.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are only 2 things on FM3A that are missing from being best camera ever: viewfinder is not 100% and you can not use nonAi lenses. Beside that it is perfect in every way. Only slr on the planet that has aperture priority and all manual speeds available when battery dies.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin