Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,321   Online: 895

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nikon FM3A

Shooter
    35mm
    Did you get the chrome or black version?

Svi

Shooter
    35mm
    What I like in the needle display of the meter is that when I am in manual mode I instantly see how far away is my choice from what the automation suggests. With a +- display of FM2 you know that you are above/below more than one stop, but how much more than one stop is not immediately visible.
    But the +- LEDs are probably more durable than a needle mechanism.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    There are only 2 things on FM3A that are missing from being best camera ever: viewfinder is not 100% and you can not use nonAi lenses. Beside that it is perfect in every way. Only slr on the planet that has aperture priority and all manual speeds available when battery dies.
    plenty missing
    eye peice shutter
    shutter priority
    matrix meter mode
    program mode
    mirror lock up
    memo back

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    plenty missing
    eye peice shutter
    shutter priority
    matrix meter mode
    program mode
    mirror lock up
    memo back
    Yeah, what the heck was Nikon thinking when designing the FM3a, omitting autofocus, spot metering, 1/8000th shutter speed, bracketing, auto film loading/advance/rewind, 5 frames per second, interchangeable prisms, 100% finder, etc? If they built such an animal they should have given it a simple name, like F4 or F5.

Shooter
    35mm
    Those feature were available on two very good manual cameras FA and F3 previously and could have been incorporated quite easily.The FM3a is still a good camera, if they didn't add aperture priority and the FE type of meter display it would have flopped like a dead mackeral.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was lucky enough to find a brand-new FM3a a couple of years after they were discontinued. In fact, I'm an idiot! I remember standing in B&H and holding one, for all of $650 or thereabouts and letting it go, but I digress...

The FM3a is a terrific little camera. Its solid. Doesn't 'need' any batteries (except to work the built-in meter). Its reliable, well built and basically bullet-proof.

If you like the feel of 'tradition' in your hands as you deploy that mechanical shutter, the FM3a will find a cozy spot in your photo arsenal

Shooter
    35mm
    Don't get me wrong a FM3a is on my list of must have cameras.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I bought an FM3a, and it is a wonderful camera. Some people think that they are overpriced, but when you compare the camera and what it can do to the likes of say a M7 o MP, it is a bargain. I bought mine mainly or shooting my Nikon lenses in situations where I didn't want to waste time on guesswork, just focus and shoot. The A mode is wonderful for this purpose. I have been let down by dead batteries in my old FE, so the manual shutter mechanism is a plus to me. Also, the AE lock is a very important feature, and it allows me to meter on different areas of my subject.

But, despite all the bells and whistles, I still find that I spend more time shooting with my old F.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think the FM3a is overpriced. I would take the FE2 for much less money. But I would use my F3HP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My only reason not to get an fm3a was the fm2n.. which costs zilch in comparison
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin