Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,444   Online: 786

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My wife is getting a little concerned now, of course I NEED the FM, FM2n, FM3a, F3HP, F100 and now F4s but it's getting harder and harder to justify it, especially since the wardrobe they now live in is also occupied by two RB67's...
    I'd like to get hold of an MB20 battery pack as I do some very high magnification macro with a converted Olympus bellows and Zuiko macro lenses, but the MB21 pack is too big to fit between the camera mount and bottom rail of the bellows, but there don't seem to be many MB20s about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by xtolsniffer View Post
    I'd like to get hold of an MB20 battery pack as I do some very high magnification macro with a converted
    I got mine on Flea Bay from someone here in the UK but I think Greys Of Westminister have one (they did a few weeks ago) but it will be £125.
    Stack of 35mm stuff, some 120 stuff and lots of other junk to make it work

Keep it simple. ~ Alfred Eisenstaedt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Java View Post

Now allI need is an F, F2, F5 and F6 to make a complete set
    I could help you with the F5 if you're seriously thinking of getting one.

Shooter
    35mm
    I miss my F4 too. And now I lost my hammer and I need to hang a new painting to the wall.
    F4 forever!

Shooter
    35mm
    Another newcomer to the F4s here... got a 'used' F4s on eBay just over a month ago. There are scratches on the bottom of the MB21 and rubbing off of some of the white text, but it appears basically sound.

Fantastic handling camera, but I can't seem to get the hang of the AF (seems to 'miss' on the first attempt, and then usually locks on Ok - both with the 70-210 f4-5.6 and the 50mm f1.8 AFD). It's my first AF SLR, but I wonder whether there's something amiss (AF sensor needs cleaning perhaps)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depends what you are trying to focus on.

The F4 have a single point AF system which I think is bang in the middle of the screen. So if you are trying to focus on something with little contrast, or a shiney surface, then the AF will struggle to lock on first time.

Like wise if you trying to focus through glass, sometimes it will struggle tryingto focus throu it.

Also check what you AF setting is, on the (looking from the front of the camera) there is a switch on the lower left hand side of the lens mount. Check it is not set to 'C' as this is continuous focus for trackoing a moving object. Make sure it is set to 'S' single shot. THe other one is 'M' manual switches the AF off.
    Stack of 35mm stuff, some 120 stuff and lots of other junk to make it work

Keep it simple. ~ Alfred Eisenstaedt

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the reply - up until recently all I've had was an MF 28mm lens, so I am aware of the 'M' setting

Mainly the focus is good - although it's interesting that in some cases I can use continuous-mode and the focus tracks to a certain object - when I then release the shutter and re-focus on the same object, focus is lost (since the camera has focused once, I would expect it to be able to do it again!)

Never mind - I'm testing the (new to me) 50mm f1.8 lens here at my desk at work :o, so lighting isn't optimal!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, tempt me with another Nikon body. I will have borrow my brother's and find out what the fuss is all about.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    “I was expecting the autofocus on the F4 to be perhaps a tad slower than the F100 but I really can't tell the difference, mind you I almost always us MF Nikkors anyway, and for that I get matrix metering, mirror lockup, viewfinder shutter, vertical shutter release, a real cable release socket automatic AND manual film rewind (for those mid-roll rewinds to leave the film sticking out), aperture indication in the viewfind with manual nikkors and it's built like someone really cared about making it last.”

You also get an interchangeable viewfinder.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Oh how I lusted for the F4 when they were introduced. I put myself into debt when I got my F3, but I never regretted it. To me, moving up from an F3 to the F4 was like moving from a Benz to a Rolls. But, I simply couldn't afford it at the time, I was in college, paying my way by working in my uncle's dry cleaning shop. After college was 6 years in the Army, and a long break from photography.

A couple of years ago I came back to photography when I bought a Nikon D70s. Digital was new territory for me, but I was attracted to it's convenience. I moved to Japan, and practically wore out the D70. Then, last month I picked up the old Wista 45 camera and jumped into large format film photography with both feet.

Since then, I've been prowling the used camera shops around Shinjuku, and I've been amazed at the amount of used gear they carry, not to mention the prices (which are much below American Ebay prices). Last week I visited one such store, and they had an entire shelf of old F4 bodies. The prices were 10k yen each, or $100 a pop... I grabbed one, and I also picked up manual 50~300 ED zoom which they also had for $500.

I haven't had a chance to use the F4 yet, but I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin