Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,847   Online: 678

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

I need a pocket camera

I need some help finding a small pocket size 35mm camera. I'm looking for this to take out on motorcycle rides, and it will need to fit in a jacket pocket. Things I want:

Sharp lens
    Good meter
    Smooth shape so it doesn't get hung up or damaged. Either a retractable lens, or one that is in the body
    a zoom would be nice but not required
    Tough design, its a rough life on a bike
    Relatively cheap price.

I like my Canon Elf 370Z, except for the fact that it uses APS film. An Elph for 35mm is what I'd like, any ideas?
    Various Canons and Nikons. A Mamiya and a Bronica. A couple Brownies, and a Couple of Argus' (Argi?)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Olympus Stylus comes to mind. If you can find one with the fixed lens I think you will find the results totally acceptable. I had the 3.5 and it was great. The older XA allows you control of shutter speed vial f.stop selection.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Or the Canon Prima AS1. 32mm f/3,5 lens is reasonably sharp and the camera is waterproof.
    Its a bit bigger than the olympus though. Or Yashica T(somthing) or Ricoh GR1.
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

S°ren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Medium Format

Bessa R3M

I can highl recommend a Bessa Voigtlander Bessa R3M(manual), this is a light rangefinder with a sharp lens, very easy to carry around.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Olympus XA/XA2... Very nice Zuiko lens. The shutter firing mechanism is a little touchy, but this little clamshell disguises a highly versatlie and reliable camera. It has been called the photographer's vacation camera. The XA is a rangefinder, while the XA2 uses zone focusing. They can both take the A11 or A16 flash attachment.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    35mm
    The Olympus Mju II (Stylus Epic) was the first thing I thought of. I've had 2, the first I sold, the second I gave to my mother-in-law and I think it's still working for her. A friend dropped his down a toilet and it still worked. He actually completed a photography degree using that camera whilst all his fellow students dropped four figure sums on Nikons. Guess who got the higher mark!!

I'm wondering if the Mju II is still in production. Olympus's UK website seems to indicate so...

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/195_mju_mju__-II.htm

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'd head to a local thrift shop and look at their collection of point and shoot models. Should cost you only a few dollars.

And once you get into P&S models, it's pretty much wide open as there are hundreds of different models.

The Minox 35 cameras also are recommended often. Just make sure the meter is working correctly.

As well, there is the Rollei 35, 35T and 35S; numerous folding cameras such as the Vito, Vito II and Vito IIa, the early folding Kodak Retinas, the Balda CE35 and the Rollei Rolleimatic -- to name a few.

Shooter
    35mm

Don't think so

Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post

I'm wondering if the Mju II is still in production. Olympus's UK website seems to indicate so...

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/195_mju_mju__-II.htm
    Here in the US, I received a Stylus Epics for a present a few years ago. Alas, despite the all-black version with no date function being my preference, I received the gold, date model. So I put the black one on my B&H wish list where it sat for years, until last Summer when I finally decided to go ahead and buy it. I was amazed. It shipped the next day. When I looked at my wishlist it said either out of stock or discontinued, so I believe I got the very last one. It sits in a box, unused, for the day my other one dies.

Super little cameras.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Definitly Olympus XA or XA2 . I prefer the XA for more exposure control. Without flash, not much bigger than a pack of smokes, dedicated flash with (A11) settings for iso 100, 200, or full. Also rangefinder focusing. The XA2 uses same flash, but only zone focus that doesnt show in viewfinder. Its totally auto function, so no exposure control.
    Rick

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have a nice little Nikon Lite Touch brand new in box. I also have one like new without box at a bit less. Let me know if interested. It has a 28mm lens, very sharp. Also, you might look at the Olumpus Stylus Epic zoom. Also a nice camera. And I have a few absolutely mint Konica Big Mini models with 35mm lenses. I even have a new Konica A4, I think, still in box.

I have a drawer full of new and like-new P&S cameras by Olympus, Konica, Nikon, Samsung. Many have zooms. I'm cutting down my collection, and several APUG members have picked up one of my cameras.

Soon they'll go to eBay. The cameras, not the APUG members (LOL).

Contact me if you want a nice little 35mm camera. I bet I have what you want at a very reasonable price.

Some examples: I'd highly recomment the shirt-pocket size Konica Big Mini. Has 35mm f3.5 lens. Very sharp. Like new with case for $40.

Or a similar Konica A4, sort of a cult classic. Or the Nikon Lite-Touch with the 28mm f3.5. That's also like new. Need $50 for that. Have a sister Lite-Touch with 35-70 zoom for $40. Just a bit bigger is the jacket-pocket sized Ricoh FF-90 f2.8 35mm lens that uses AA cells. Was Euro camera of the year a while back. Very highly regarded. It's $35.

All plus shipping.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin