Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,816   Posts: 1,581,630   Online: 793

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images
    My wife goes through P&S cameras very fast. She takes LOTS of pictures of everything, especially the kids. Now she has three of them, all on the brink of death and will need a new one soon. She has used Fuji, Olympus, and Canon. Of course, it needs to be auto everything. A sharp lens. 2x zoom is probably good enough, although a non zoom is okay. Finding one that runs on AA batts would be good, but that is a pipe dream. Flash is a must. NOT digital, must be a film camera.

So what's the best one for the buck? How long should they last in your experience?

Thanks for the help.

I have a Yashica T4 but I am not sure if they are made anymore. I love that little camera. Fits in a pocket, fast, sharp lens, good viewfinder.

I also really like the Olympus Stylus Epic. A tiny camera with fast, sharp lens and just about the best bang for the buck in the point and shoot market..down right cheap! Over the years I have purchased 6 of these cameras as gifts to Mom, sisters, friends.

All are still working just fine.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have a Rollie Prego 90 which is great. I believe the newer models are cheaper than that model that was very pricey but great. Will do everything but fix coffee.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My vote would have been for the T4 as well, but Ricoh make an outstanding P&S as well. Although kind of expensive and has a 21mm lens on it.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If I had money to blow on one I'd get a little Leica or Contax

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    If I had money to blow on one I'd get a little Leica or Contax
    Me too, but my wife would never get her hands on it
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    35mm
    My wife used an Olympus Stylus 80. Nice shots, small, 3X zoom, she loved it.
    But do not let it fall to the ground.

Anyone has a cheap one for sale?
    ((-:

Jorge O

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The non-zoom stylus's are the best quality-wise. Yashica T4's still go on ebay at around new price -- they are good.

If you can get over the usual APUG blinders, I recommend the Finecam SL300R highly (see http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/sl300r.html). There's also supposedly a Contax version of essentailly the same thing , for about twice the price (don't see it on Kyocera's website though). Comes with a cute little metal lens shade for the extra expense I guess.

KB
    Contax Brat

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A quick vote for the Olympus mju-II.

A very compact 35mm camera with a sharp f2.8 35mm fixed focal length lens. Weatherproof, flash (including red-eye reduction) and even a spotmeter (if you can find it!) all for £74 (http://www.7dayshop.com).

I've had one for about five years (which proves it's tough) and I'd have another anytime.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Absolutely without a shadow of a doubt any of the models in the Ricoh GR1 range. Unbelievably sharp lens (fixed, 28mm), and the compact camera of choice for many professionals such as Joe Cornish and Charlie Waite. I even know photographers who've shot 35mm slide with it and had them used as magazine covers.

I've had one for a few years, it's still performing perfectly, and believe me I've given it quite a battering.

You'd better be quick, however, as Ricoh recently announced it won't be manufacturing them any more. Some dealers might still have stock, or you could pick one up second hand - although they don't appear too often because they're so darn good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin