Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,549   Online: 1019

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jim that's incorrect. The F100 uses the same AF sensor and cam as the F5. The N80 uses the same AF point layout, but uses a less powerful AF cam that is slower and hunts more often. The F100 also has more cross type sensors as well to be sensitive to both horizontal and vertical contrast then the N80. Thom Hogan talks about it in his review of the camera as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Naples - I wouldn't worry about buying used -- after all, one of the features is its build quality. Interestingly enough, the only camera I have ever bought new was the Nikon N80. In the end I sold it because I wanted the F100 for some of the features mentioned above, and because I couldn't stand the slow focus of the N80. I got an almost mint used F100 off ebay for $150 -- and I've had no complaints whatsoever with it. My only complaint with the camera is the lack of mirror lock-up but I've found other ways around that.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    35mm
    The other posters here are correct to reassure you about buying used. Get your gear from a reputable dealer (like KEH) and you'll have no trouble returning it if there is a problem. I can only think of a couple cameras I have ever purchased brand new. I've owned dozens of used cameras over the last twenty years, and only twice gotten a camera with an actual problem. In both of those cases I was able to get the dealer to replace the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a new F80 soon after they came out, and recently bought a used F100 advertised here. I kept the F80 because it's smaller and lighter and has a built-in flash (and it does have a spot meter). It's a great packing-around camera. The F100 is bigger, heavier, has faster and better autofocus and accepts all of the AIS lenses that I bought for my FM3A. I could easily get by with just the F100, but selling the F80 would be like selling my dog - in both cases we're used to each other. One other thing I really appreciate about the F100 is that it takes regular AA batteries, not those ridiculously expensive batteries the F80 uses.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker View Post

I kept the F80 because it's smaller and lighter and has a built-in flash (and it does have a spot meter).
    johhny,

Thanks. The F100 has a spot meter too, right?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Naples View Post
    johhny,

Thanks. The F100 has a spot meter too, right?
    Both have a spot meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What's nice about the spot meter in the F100 (I don't know if its true about the N80) is that it's linkable to each AF point when using AF lenses. Can't tell that I love my F100 huh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If I were you, I'd pick up a nice used N90s. It's as rugged as an F100, but lighter. IMHO, it's 85-90% of the camera of an F100, for 25% of the price. Nowadays, good clean used N90s bodies typically sell for $50-60 on ebay. I recently got another one for $31. The only detriment to an N90s is that it doesn't work with G-lenses. But it DOES work and meter with Nikon AI and AIS manual lenses, unlike your N80.

If you did decide to get an F100, get a used one for ~$200, not a new one. But I think you'd be just as happy with an N90s for well under $100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually the N90s will work with G lenses - however you're stuck to P and S modes only.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mudman View Post
    Actually the N90s will work with G lenses - however you're stuck to P and S modes only.
    For me, that's the same as not working, because I shoot in A mode around 80% of the time, and 10% each in S mode and M mode.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin