Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,537   Posts: 1,572,749   Online: 797

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon N80 to Nikon F100?

Hello.

I have a Nikon N80 that I use for family, portraiture, travel, and sport photography. I am satisfied with it, but am concerned about its build quality and longevity.

BH Photo sells a new F100 for $750. I suspect I will want one later, when it will not be available new.

What benefits are there to the F100 compared to the N80? I understand the F100 is a superior build, but what about the electronics, image quality, etc.? In short, is the upgrade worth the money?

Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Naples,
    The price you mentionned is very high. F100s sell for 200 euro on ebay, in very good condition.
    The F100 is a great camera. It's bigger in size than the F80. No exchangeable viewfinfers like in its bigger brother , the F5. No possibility to rewind the film manually. Theses are two flaws.
    Otherwise, good built quality.
    Get one you won't be disappointed.
    Cheers.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    "image quality"

Camera has very little to do with image quality. That's the job of your lenses. If you put junk on an F100, you get junk. That said, I own three F100 bodies because they are fabulous.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    They offer several advantages including mirror lock up (i think) and compatability with older lenses like not locking out metering without the CPU chip.

That price is outrageous. Look on ebay.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I agree that the F100 is a fine fine camera body. Don't pay more than $250 for one though, and google around for an article that notes which serial numbers to get. The older models replaced a film advance spindle that was weak with a more robust version. Also, I may be wrong, but I don't recall the F100 having mirror lock-up.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No mirror Lock. The main advantages are the compatability with older lenses, better build quality in the body, better weather sealing, longer life shutter, faster shutter (1/8000 vs 1/4000), better AF and more custom settings. Advantages of your N80 - it's lighter and has a built in flash.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I brought an N-75, which is similar to an N-80. Recently I brought a F-100. I use the N-75 for color prints and the F-100 for black and white. For me the big advantages for the F-100 are the spot light meter, [which I also use when I need a spot meter for the Hasselblad] and the ability to change the film speed for a whole roll.

The N-75/N-80 is more of an amateur camera, step or two above a point and shoot, while the F-100 is much more professional. I think the F-100 is the best Nikon slr built. The F5 is much too bulky for my use.

I enjoy using the F-100 much more and therefore the N-75 tends be be used more for less serious work. Therefore, I recommend that you keep the N-80 for backup and casual work and buy the F-100. In fact if you can afford two F-100s, buy them.

You will not regret buying the F-100.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the helpful advice.

Someone mentioned that the F100 has better autofocus than the N80. Is this a consensus view? I thought the N80 come out after the F100 and had fairly advanced autofocus (?).

By the way, the $750 price from BH Photo is for an actual new F100; not used. I’m leery of buying used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The F100 uses the same AF sensor as the F80/N80 but has slightly better hardware so it's a little faster.

Don't be too leery of buying used. You could buy three F100s used for the price of a new one. Two could be dead and you'd still be as well off.

Frankly, if you want durable you want an F5 or F6. You could easily get a really nice F100 and F5 in the price range you're considering, from a reliable vendor like KEH which has a money-back guarantee. I bought my F5 from there and it was an excellent camera; I'm very pleased with it. The only thing I missed getting were boxes and manuals (and KEH sells manuals if you want one).
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, Jim.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin