Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,636   Online: 906

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My vote is still with the Tameron lens. I use my A1 with a Tameron 35-210 zoom which works quite well with the landscape pictures that I use it for. It is a little slow with a f3.5 but I don't need a fast lens for outdoor work. It is quite heavy but I just considerate a workout when I use the lens. Works well on all my FD bodies. It definitely has a place in my work day gear.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sigma 24-70. Perfect anywhere anytime lens. Mine lives on my EF body.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    I bought my A-1 (in 1981) with the 50mm f1.4, a fine package as-is. My next addition was the 35 - 105 f3.5 macro zoom that several here have recommended; it is hefty to carry, but a very satisfying handful. Those are definitely my favorites. In the mid-90s I bought a 35-70 f3.5 zoom from a friend. It's definitely not the build quality of the 35-105 (much more plastic), and has more distortion at the wide end -- but, it's about the size of the 50mm 1.4 and very light, a great walking around lens for less critical stuff; I've used it and the 50mm as a combination for traveling light. I recently picked up a one touch 70-210 and have a few others obtained via inheritance, but haven't done much with them.

DaveT
    I have a FD 35-70 f3.5-4.5 zoom too Dave, and I agree they are light and have plastic barrels, but they must all be more than twenty years old, and although they are not the best zoom lens that Canon ever made there are still millions of them around, and come to think of it, I worked in camera stores for about twenty years ,and have never seen a faulty one .
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    3 Olives,

All very good replies and recommendations; you've got a lot of support, here. I still use my FD equipment (F-1N), regularly. I've always admired the A-1, and I'm sure your son is enjoying it, tremendously.

If I can put in my 2 cents, the 50mm 1.4 is a fine lens. The zoom lens suggestions were all very appropriate for your son's needs, as well. I was never a zoom-person; that's just me.

I use a 35mm f:2 as a prime moderate-wide; it's perfect for street/people. This particular lens is hard to come by, but you can check KEH, http://www.keh.com, for quality used offerings (they always have others in this focal length). For a short telephoto, I too suggest the 85mm f:1.8, or even a 100mm f:2.8.

The plus side of the zooms suggested for your son, is that there's less glass to carry around. You can't go wrong with any of the recommendation given. Good luck.

P.S. If he doesn't already have these, another good gift idea is a set of B+W filters.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin