Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,479   Posts: 1,597,635   Online: 1294

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Canon A1 Lens Suggestions Needed

I bought an A1 body that came with a 50mm 1.4 FD lens several years ago. I also bought a 135mm 1:25 FD that has seen little use.
    This camera is being used by my son and he really likes it. He does a lot of people/street/close range photograpy. I am considering buying him another lens as a birthday gift.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The 50mm f1.4 is a good lens for that purpose. The 24mm or 28mm f2.8s are nice lenses (although more of a landscape application than people/street). My main lens for the A-1 was the 35-105 f3.5 - it's a nice lens - 2-touch zoom, sharp, reasonably fast, I just wished the front element didn't turn during focusing.

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had an A1 and loved using my Tamron 28mm f2.5 on it. Used to take it out and shoot like crazy when I was stuck for inspiration. Made me rethink my framing options and allowed me to take some risks with composition.

Bresson shot some wonderful street/people images on his rangefinder - not sure if it was used with a wide (28 or 35) but I'm sure someone on the forum with more knowledge about him than me will be able to clarify.

- Nanette
    www.nanettereid.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Might look into a 85mm lens.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yes I would say the 85mm f1.8 lens would be a great addition. It is reasonably priced used and does a great job.
    Make sure to get a hood with it.

You mentioned the 24mm lens but did not make it clear if you had one allready.. If not I woul highly reccomend it as a 'environmental portrait' lens.. Not sure if that is a tech term or not.
    A 35mm lens would also be a good choice for the same reasons.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Canon 35-105mm f3.5 zoom is a great all around lens for the A1. It became the main lens when I used the A1 and I now see it has disappeared from my F1N kit and reappeared on the A1 that my daughter is now using. My other favorite is the Canon 24mm f2.8.

Gord

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd second (3rd?) the 35-105 suggestion. Nice general lens and is usually whats mounted on one of my FD bodies. I have both the f3.5 version and the f3.5-4.5 version. Both work well, the one is faster over the full range but its also bigger and heavier. The f3.5 is generally considered to be sharper but really its hard to call as the 3.5-4.5 is pretty good too. The 3.5-4.5 is a one touch which depending on your feelings is either better or not. The 3.5-4,5 is also easier to find and cheaper. either or really, both are nice. I usually go with the older f3.5 version just because I like how it feels, I'm used to it, and it looks nice hanging off the front of my F1.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I would go with the 28mm 2.8 and the 85mm1.8
    Stay with the primes if you can
    "A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format

Only 3 lenses ALL " L " sharp, from 20 mm - 200 mm all f 2.8.

Even better, look for a Tamron 35 - 105 mm f 2.8 ASL. It's sharper than Canon's, focus closer & is a 1/2 stop faster.

The lens has interchangeable mounts,so find the lens in any mount & then change mounts. Try eBay. Dump the 135 f 2.5. It's too old to be any good, because I think it's an FL lens, not FD. This makes a big difference.

The Tamron 80 - 200 mm f 2.8 is also phenomenal.

Then look for a Canon 20 - 35 mm f 2.8 L lens.

The lens range now is 20 - 200 all f 2.8 & " L " sharp.

One tip, if you can find an AE1 P, " D " focusing screen, get a camera repair person, to remove the screen from it's frame. Then put the brighter laser screen, in the A1. It will make focusing a lot easier & will not effect metering.

Shooter
    35mm
    Close range photo then a wide angle should do: 28mm or 35mm. Avoid bad distortion.
    So you pass on your "fever" to the next generation...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin