Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,968   Online: 1072

Thread: Film question

Shooter
    35mm

Film question

I'm looking to load bulk film, and both continuing availability and cost are issues.

I read a thread in this forum that asserted that Freestyle was marketing Kodak Tri-X under their house brand Arista. Does anyone know whether or not that's true?

Thanks for reading,

wtallman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, it is, and the Arista Premium 100 is Plus-X.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    Be sure to exactly match the name; Freestyle also sells a film called Arista.EDU Ultra, which is made by Foma, and their Legacy Pro line (although not an "Arista" brand) is made by Fuji. In the past there were others, too, like Arista.EDU (without the "Ultra"), Arista Pro, and Arista II.

One more point: Although the consensus is that Arista Premium 100 is Plus-X, AFAIK there's no official confirmation of this. There's a small possibility that it's a different emulsion, but if so, it's quite similar, by all accounts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If anybody has a roll of it, and if it has the DXn markings and bar code on it, you can enter the number under the bar code on http://www.imageaircraft.com.au/DXsim/ and it will cross reference it and tell you who made it and what type of film it is. I do this with store brands and find out who uses Kodak, who uses Fuji, and so on.

For example, Rite Aid 400 with the bar code of 505783 is really FUJICOLOR SUPER G PLUS 400. Longs 200, bar code 501413, is FUJICOLOR SUPERIA 200. And an old roll of PhotoWorks 200, bar code 013621, is really IMATION COLOR HP200.

Kinda fun to look these things up. If you reuse containers you can find all kinds of neat things about your film that way. Just my $0.02 worth....

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now that's neat, McFortner! Very helpful.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdunek View Post
    Now that's neat, McFortner! Very helpful.
    I'm glad you like it, even if it isn't my work!

I found it looking for a DX converter because I had some empty cartridges with the DX coding but no writing on it for speed. My son's Kodak Star 935 reads the speed off of them, so I had to know for my reloading purposes. The more I played with the page, the more useful I found it to be.

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by McFortner View Post
    If anybody has a roll of it, and if it has the DXn markings and bar code on it, you can enter the number under the bar code on http://www.imageaircraft.com.au/DXsim/ and it will cross reference it and tell you who made it and what type of film it is. I do this with store brands and find out who uses Kodak, who uses Fuji, and so on.

For example, Rite Aid 400 with the bar code of 505783 is really FUJICOLOR SUPER G PLUS 400. Longs 200, bar code 501413, is FUJICOLOR SUPERIA 200. And an old roll of PhotoWorks 200, bar code 013621, is really IMATION COLOR HP200.

Kinda fun to look these things up. If you reuse containers you can find all kinds of neat things about your film that way. Just my $0.02 worth....

Michael
    Have you used this method on any of the Freestyle house brand films?
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    Have you used this method on any of the Freestyle house brand films?
    I haven't bought any rolls of Freestyle brand films yet, just some 100' rolls of Fomapan 100 past date at 1/2 off. It seemed like a better idea to buy in bulk right now. Of course, I'd never turn down any film that shows up unannounced on my doorstep....

Michael

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin