Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,015   Online: 716

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

FM2n sold for $ 1011

Hi everyone,
    I just want to share with you all the following information:
    a Nikon FM2n was sold today on ebay uk for a cool $ 1011 (699 british pounds). It is a Year of the Dragon "special edition".
    What is your reaction?

The Year of the Dragon is a limited edition of the classic FM2n chrome finish released in 2000 to celebrate the chinese year of the dragon. Only 2000 were built and sold in a presentation kit that included a 50mm f1.4 with matching serial number. The one sold here had the number 1222/2000.
    It has nothing different from a standard FMn except the specific serial number and a small oval dragon plate glued to the camera's front left, just under the "FM2" engraving.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Collectors............
    It is the same with a gold Leica, RB, Rollei 35: without that "special" gold they are worth a lot less.
    These camera's are not bought to photograph with, just to be put into a vitrine, safely behind (armoured) glass so nobody can toutch them.

For me a camera is one to take pic's with, good ones.

Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What Peter says!

I could sell a Limited Edition Colin-Brand Nikon...only one ever designated! Officially licensed and trademarked by the Colin Institute.

Wouldn't mean much, but if someone is willing to pay...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How much will these be worth in a few years when 95% of the population forgets what a film camera is?

I can see the value of camera rare because of who used it, or maybe even an early model of a camera that was ground-breaking.

But these "collectible" cameras seem like beanie babies for guys. An item indefensibly over-priced because supply was artifically limited.

10 years from now, our kids won't give a crap about them and they'll be mostly worthless. Sort of a tulip for the early 21st Century.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    any collectibles sell for insane amounts of money because of what Peter said. I couldn't care less, I use my cameras and only pay to keep them working (CLA and little fixes).
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    To shamelessly paraphrase George Carlin's line (he was talking about cocaine), "This is God's way of telling you you've got too much money"

Larry

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I remember when that "special edition' Nikon was released. It was a running joke among Nikon users because it was so cheesy with that press on decal.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The irony, of course, is that China is (in)famous for mass-producing knock-offs.

There's probably a dozen look-a-likes of this camera around, and a lot of 'collectors' probably couldn't tell the difference.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I don't know if the buyer was Asian but in Asia there is considerable signifigance attached to years and numbers.-Dick

Shooter
    35mm
    yes, lucky numbers and the like, but, hey, it's a FM2 after all, won't take better pictures than a regular one as you all know.
    Leica indulged in the same marketing frenzy by making that incredible variety of "special editions" celebrating mariages of famous kings and queens or even successful Leica dealers...
    Thanks for your reactions,
    Serge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin