Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,278   Online: 859

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Olympus OM/ F-Zuiko Auto-T 300mm f/4.5 lens

Does anyone have this lens and what do you think of it?

Thanks .

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I had this lens from the say 1988 to 1995 or so, shot with it almost every day during the first few years as a news shooter. Very good lens, almost surprisingly so. I always was wishing for more speed so I moved over to first a Tamron 300mm 2.8 then as I shifted from Olympus to Nikon got a Nikkor 300 2.8. The negs were always crisp and sharp, got one of my very best shots ever on it at F11 which was IMO the sweet spot. 5.6 was decent and even wide open was pretty good. I never thought that lens got any credit, although its slow and does not have internal focussing is works very well for slow subject/landscape shooting, its quite sharp with good character. I got mine back when for a song, no idea what they go for now, try to get a newer version if you can.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm not sure this will help but I used a Canon FD 300mm f4 in the mid 80s, which I believe has the almost same optical construction as your Zuiko.
    It was a pretty good lens, gave good quality images. Lens was a bit heavy when carried a whole day. But, eventually, I went for a 300mm f2,8 (even heavier)! Human nature...
    When thinking back about that, I thing it's better in some instance to go for a good quality zoom, like the Nikkor 80-200mm f2,8 which is a more versatile lens than a rather narrow 300mm. But that's just my own opinion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    RidingWaves and nicefor88,

Thank you both for responding and your thoughtful insights on this lens.

I'm still considering it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might take a look here: http://zone-10.com/cmsm/index.php?op...d=431&Itemid=1

I don't currently have this lens, having sold it when I bought a Tamron 300mm f2.8, however the lens is light and sharp. A pleasure to work with and I wanted a little more speed. Easily hand held as opposed to what it was replace with. It won't disappoint. Bill Barber

Shooter
    35mm
    and the 300/4.5 has beautiful bokeh. John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill, thanks for posting the link to my Bokeh article.

http://zone-10.com/cmsm/index.php?op...d=431&Itemid=1

The Zuiko 300/4.5 is one of my favorite lenses of all times. The lens is exceptionally sharp and has such awesome bokeh. However, there are two flies in the ointment:

1. CA. There is a very very slight amount of CA which sometimes will rear its head, but it's very minimal and quite manageable,
    2. The focus ring on many of these lenses is quite stiff.

The 300/4.5 in any flavor (silvernosed SC, blacknosed MC) is a worthy lens to have and is on my extremely short list of "must have items" which I can recommend without hesitation to any Olympus SLR/DSLR owner.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    You might take a look here: http://zone-10.com/cmsm/index.php?op...d=431&Itemid=1

I don't currently have this lens, having sold it when I bought a Tamron 300mm f2.8, however the lens is light and sharp. A pleasure to work with and I wanted a little more speed. Easily hand held as opposed to what it was replace with. It won't disappoint. Bill Barber
    Thanks for the link and the recommendation .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hermanson View Post
    and the 300/4.5 has beautiful bokeh. John

Thanks, John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken N View Post
    Bill, thanks for posting the link to my Bokeh article.

http://zone-10.com/cmsm/index.php?op...d=431&Itemid=1

The Zuiko 300/4.5 is one of my favorite lenses of all times. The lens is exceptionally sharp and has such awesome bokeh. However, there are two flies in the ointment:

1. CA. There is a very very slight amount of CA which sometimes will rear its head, but it's very minimal and quite manageable,
    2. The focus ring on many of these lenses is quite stiff.

The 300/4.5 in any flavor (silvernosed SC, blacknosed MC) is a worthy lens to have and is on my extremely short list of "must have items" which I can recommend without hesitation to any Olympus SLR/DSLR owner.

Thanks for the endorsement, Ken, and -especially- for the your article with great pictures!

BTW, I noticed more great pictures in your other articles on the same site (many using the 300/4.5 -as in "Fire & Ice" and "Broters Bale"): you sure like to get outdoors in all kinds of weather and at all times of day and night! I enjoyed your other essays as well, particularly "One Roll, One Lens, One Hour". I must try that!
    Last edited by Galah; 05-06-2009 at 11:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin