Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,925   Online: 790

BMN

Shooter
    35mm

Adapting a Vivitar 200mm MF lense to Nikon N70

I posted this earlier but did (not) designate a catagory.

I have a question regarding Vivitar 200mm (3.5) Lense:
    I have the above lense that my Dad gave me. He had used it on a Canon FT and I would like to adapt it to my Nikon N70.
    Although I will have to use in Manual mode, am I able to purcahsse an adapter to accomplish this?

Thanks,

BMN

Shooter
    35mm
    There *used* to be an adapter to mount Canon FD lenses on the Nikon F mount (and other makes), however due to differences in the distance between the lens mount and the film plane, it needed optical elements to allow infinity focus. I would think that probably didn't improve the overall image quality; if you find one that doesn't have optics, you will be able to mount the lens but you won't have infinity focus. Also, you may have to pay more money for such an adapter than the same lens in a Nikon mount would cost you.

BMN

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the feedback. Althoguh this Lens seemed to rate fairly high in its day, it appears it would be more trouble to retro-fit than buy other Lense(s). Althoguh I got a nice deal on the N70, I am now just finding out how much the Glass cost!

Shooter
    35mm
    Another route would be to pick up a Canon T70 or T90, which were the very last Canon FD-mount bodies. Your Vivitar lens should mount to either of those bodies, and they are much more modern cameras than the FT.

BMN

Shooter
    35mm

Jerking Myself Around

RT-
    I found a nice EOS/A2 dirt cheap this afternoon. In reviewing Lens options I see I am heading down the same road as I was with my Nikon N70!

Apparently (No) FD lenses are capable "Manually" should I purchase the EOS.
    It almost seems like I may as well save my $40.00 and apply it to a Nikon Lense although it appears that Canon lenses are (somewhat) reasonable...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Man the Eos A2 is a wonderful camera, but you're correct, it won't work with your lens. The nice thing about the N70 is that it is compatible with MF nikkor lenses.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm a diehard Nikon F-mount user, largely for the reason given by mudman above; I can use my manual focus Nikon series E 70-210 from 1980 on my Nikon F100 from 2000 (and my D300 from 2008, but that's for another forum).

Having said that, even I have considered the T90 (and the EOS A2). Check out a Canon T90. It's almost an EOS body but with an FD mount (the EOS mount, for the record, is called the EF mount).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It would be cheaper and better to pick up a Nikon-mount version of the 200mm f3.5 Vivitar than it would be to try to find an adapter from Canon FD to Nikon - because of the need for optical compensation for the shorter registration distance of the Canon FD mount. You can likely find a Nikon-mount version of this Vivitar lens for $25-30 plus shipping on the 'bay.

BTW, this Vivitar 200mm f3.5 is a surprisingly good lens. I own it in Pentax M42 mount. It's definitely as good as the Pentax 200mm f4 and Nikon 200mm f4 lenses of the same era.

Shooter
    35mm
    And I know that the Nikon 200mm f/4 is superb. I agree, just find this lens in an AI'd Nikon F mount if you want to use the N70.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin