Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,126   Online: 836

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Tamron SP series and Tokina AT-X series were/are good lenses. In the Tamron line I own the 17mm, 90mm f2.5, 180mm 2.5, 300 mm 2.8 and 400mm 4 plus several of their zooms. Stick with the SP series and you will be pleased. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another Tamron user here. I have a 80-210 f2.8 SP ED Adaptall 2 which is incredible. Best zoom I have (in comparison to various Canon FDs and a Nikkor). I also have a Tamron 500 SP f8 mirror which is actually pretty decent and in a side by side test with the Canon FD version, the Tamron blew the Canon away (so I sold the Canon). I also have a Tamron 35-70 in an auto focus Nikon mount. Its a great performer. I've never used but have been told that Tokina AT-X lenses can also be very nice.
    Various Canons and Nikons. A Mamiya and a Bronica. A couple Brownies, and a Couple of Argus' (Argi?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an old Tamron BBAR 105mm lens and it is very sharp. My Tamron 28mm f2.5 is another excellent performer. My Sigma 24mm is sharp and contrasty but exhibits barrell distortion. Nothing that you would see in a landscape photograph but evident in architecuture. My sigma 80-210 is adequate at best and not a patch on any of my prime lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The older 90mm SP Tamron macro lenses were legendary, in MTF tests they would frequently beat the major SLR makers own macros.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Tamron Adaptall-2 lenses are well known. There's a website at http://www.Adaptall-2.com which tells you all about them. I have 4-5 of these lenses and have found them somewhat overrated. YMMV. The greatness of the system is that they are good lenes, no doubt, even if they are not as good as the hype, but you can mount them on practically ANY camera. I have mounts for Canon FD, Konica AR, Pentax K, Yashica, M42, Minolta MD, Fujica, Mamiya, and Nikon. There is a Pentax KA mount, but they sell for insane prices on eBay.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    There is a Pentax KA mount, but they sell for insane prices on eBay.
    There's a Canon EOS mount and that sells for even more

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have that 90mm f2.5 Tamron SP Macro. It's quite simply the best lens I've ever owned. I've moved it from Nikon F, to Canon FD, to Olympus OM, and now back to Nikon in my digital days. Not only tack sharp, both for macro and general purpose uses, but beautiful bokeh as well. It outresolves both an 8 MP 4/3 and a 12 MP APS sensor wide open in the corners of those digital frames.

Shooter
    35mm

Not sure what you've seen

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    There's a Canon EOS mount and that sells for even more

Ian
    There's a KA on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110369097408

and the highest EOS is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=280337370962

Maybe prices have changed.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    There's a KA on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110369097408

and the highest EOS is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=280337370962

Maybe prices have changed.
    Thats not comparing like with like at all as the KA is a genuine Tamron mount the Canon fit just a 3rd party adapter with focus confirmation. The proper Tamron Adaptall EOS mount relays aperture settings etc to the camera and they are now extremely rare and difficult to find.

I do use an M42/EOS adaptor to use my longer focal length Tamrons on an EOS body.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've owned a Sigma 15/2.8 AF fisheye and 30/1.4 EX DG, both in Nikon mount. No problems with either, mechanically or optically. Both sold, the former because I hardly ever used it once the novelty wore off, the latter because I very rarely use my D70 now.

I've also got a Tamron 19-35 f/3.5-4.5 zoom, Nikon AF mount. Lives almost permanently on my N90S. Again, no problems with this.

I can't see a quality difference between any of these lenses and a modern Nikon lenses like the 18-70/3.5-4.5 DX zoom, of AF-D 50/1.8. They don't compare in solidity to any of my AI/AIS Nikkors or the 80-200/2.8 AF-D, but that's apples to oranges IMO.

Ian

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin