Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,379   Online: 1098

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Flash for Nikon F2

Hi, I would like to get a flash for my Nikon F2 which will give me the ready light in the finder. I had a SB-2 flash with the camera, which was in great cosmetic condition - but did not work 100% (ready light on flash never came on).
    So what other nikon flash (or after market flash fitted to the NIKON AS-1 flash adaptor) would work with the F2 finders.
    Cheers, Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The AS-1 adapters I have, which also fit the F do not pass the ready light signal back to the body. It's been a long time, but I don't remember an aftermarket flash specific to the F2.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hello,

The "best" flash I've used with everything from my Nikon F up through semi-modern bodies is the Metz 45CT-1 (or for newer cameras, use the CL-1).

The camera has a roughly 45m (!!!) GN and works in M and A. Absolutely nigh indestructible and these days sell for about $100 used.

One really cool aspect of Metz flashes is that you can change out the bulbs in the flash when the termperature begins to degrade. That means that your major investment doesn't become a paperweight after x number of uses like, say a Nikon SB24, ect.,...

Just be sure not to hook it up to anything AF or with "lots" of electronics. It has been reported to be able to fry modern electronic cameras - although I don't know of anyone who's ever had this happen.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
    Jeff M

M3, M5, CLE, Minolta XE7, Minolta Maxxum 9, Minolta Maxxum 9000, Nikon F3HP, etc., etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am at present seeing if I can get the SB-2 repaired (I let you know if I can). I have a handful of flash guns, but I an looking for something that can be dedicated to the F2 (otherwise I will us my trusty National flash, 26+ years old and counting, on its 'bleep' function. Can I get a Metz adaptor to connect with the F2 head contact?

Shooter
    35mm
    The problem might not come from the flash but from contacts on the F2. Have you checked them?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by kram View Post
    I am at present seeing if I can get the SB-2 repaired (I let you know if I can). I have a handful of flash guns, but I an looking for something that can be dedicated to the F2 (otherwise I will us my trusty National flash, 26+ years old and counting, on its 'bleep' function. Can I get a Metz adaptor to connect with the F2 head contact?

Dedicated? On an F2?
    When I use that term I'm thinking TTL. I'm guessing you mean something else?

The Metz hooks up to the PC jack on the camera. No need to use the Nikon "slide on" system that is such a pain. No need to take it off when changing rolls of film, etc.
    Jeff M

M3, M5, CLE, Minolta XE7, Minolta Maxxum 9, Minolta Maxxum 9000, Nikon F3HP, etc., etc.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hello,

I just re-read your original post. The 45 CT-1 WILL NOT make your flash ready light turn on inside the camera. If that's what you're wanting, it is not your best option.
    Jeff M

Shooter
    Multi Format
    By dedicated, in F2 terms, all this means is the ready light in the finder comes on. Currently the ready light will not come on on the flash, which is why I am getting it looked at. However, if a repair is not viable, what adaptors (if any e.g. Metz) could I use. Or, are the only flash guns dedicated to the F2 are Nikon?

Shooter
    35mm
    The Nikon SB-7E was dedicated F2 flash unit which has the special foot mount that slides and locks over the rewind knob and has a contact that mates to the finder to illuminate the built-in ready-light. The AS-1 flash coupler for ISO type mount flashes does not have the finder contact for the ready-light. The SC-4 Ready-Light Adaptor is used with several other Nikon flash units to illuminate the F2's ready-light but not sure if it is adaptable to other flash units.

Reagards

Ed

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by kram View Post
    By dedicated, in F2 terms, all this means is the ready light in the finder comes on. Currently the ready light will not come on on the flash, which is why I am getting it looked at. However, if a repair is not viable, what adaptors (if any e.g. Metz) could I use. Or, are the only flash guns dedicated to the F2 are Nikon?
    Metz does make an adapter (SCA is their terminology) to allow their flashes to work on the F2/F3/etc. in this manner. If you want to go that route, you'll need AT LEAST a Metz 45CL-4.
    Jeff M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin