Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,475   Online: 1049

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    Why are rangefinder camera so popular
    Are you sure that they are?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    They appear to be I've met quite a few people who have bought them in the past few years either second hand or new, particularly the Cosina made Voightlanders.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Are the high end point & shoot digital cameras a modern version of the the rangefinder?
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    Are the high end point & shoot digital cameras a modern version of the the rangefinder?
    No, they are the equivalent of point and shoot disposables.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Why are rangefinder camera so popular
    Uh-huh, I'm very sure they are.

In particular, the 35mm RFs.

As to why, they seem to appeal to the purist and the minimalist. They appear to be not only the perfect antithesis to the {d-word} camera, but also to the film SLR.

The whole thing about the rangefinder camera is in the focusing. It's manual, visual, interactive. Uh-huh, the (real) SLR's focusing is quite similar.

The RFs tend to be small and compact, quiet, vibration free, and as an over-generalization they have high quality optics.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    No, they are the equivalent of point and shoot disposables.
    In practical use, they are far closer to a Leica than a disposable, both in philosophy and in the types of images they can capture: a lot of power thrown into a small, convenient, and unobtrusive package. Just because something is made to be usable by an idiot does not mean that it is at the level of a point and shoot disposable.

As for the "Are you sure that they are" comment, my point was that we tend to live in an analog photo nerd bubble, and take things like RFs for granted...when in reality, a large percentage of photographers these days have probably never even heard of one, let alone seen one, let alone used one.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 05-08-2009 at 10:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Apart from what was already mentioned rangefinders have another significant advantage over SLR’s. Similar to TLR’s they do not suffer from, inherent to SLR’s operation, view finder “block out” by the mirror during the exposure. This is quite relevant in certain circumstances…
    Last edited by milosz; 05-08-2009 at 01:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Stradibarius,

I'd like to add my own comments after the valuable contributions above.

I've been using Nikon SLRs since 1974 to my complete satisfaction. The system is versatile, comprehensive, easy to use and brings excellent results. For those who can use it ().

Now, I resisted to the Leica appeal for a long time but eventually offered myself a M6 rangefinder ten years ago.

What the main differences to me between the two systems are:

rangefinder is more compact (hence its name in German - kompakt kamera) because of the absence of prism and mirror
    rangefinder works better in low light in terms of focusing (you don't need to have an expensive fast lens, since you're not looking at your subject through the lens)
    rangefinder is normally extremely easy to operate (you don't have all theses electronic gizmos, multiple programm modes, switches, levers, etc like in some SLRs)

The Leica M series has a reputation of quality and durability which to me is absolutely founded. I've not used any other brand but I've heard good comments on other makes.

So, I'm using both a rangefinder and 2 SLRs when I go out. I think we can all agree that the lens quality is actually decisive in the quality of the final product: the photograph. So, after all, is the camera body that important? To ask the question is to answer it. Probably.

Serge

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have shot MF and SLR's all my life. Picked up my first RF a few months ago and purchased it that week. It's hard to explain until you pick one up. See if your local pro shop will let you a loan for a day or two and you'll see.
    Good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Barry,

I thought seriously about a RF until I got an FM2. Small, simple, light, easy to focus, and inexpensive.

I still think about a RF now and again but less noise, less mirror slap, and F1.0 are the only upsides I see.

The noise doesn't bother me, I like the look I'm getting shooting with fast films and I like using a mono-pod so the mirror slap doesn't mean much to me, and they are so expensive that I'd be afraid to take a Noctilux out of it's case.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin