Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,923   Posts: 1,584,994   Online: 1101

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not so much about the real and objective advantages (and disadvantages), even though they do play a part: It's mainly a different way of working and seeing. A bit like colour vs. B&W or oil painting vs watercolour...
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have found true love in medium format rangefinders. I now own three, a Bronica RF645, a Mamiya 6, and a Mamiya 7II, and four if you count my holga... Anyway, rangefinders offer freedom and lightness when shooting and the lenses are very sharp. I personally can't find advantages (as far as size difference) in 35mm rangefinders compared to 35mm SLRs, but when you get up to medium format the difference is much greater. Try hauling a Pentax 67 or a Blad around with a few lenses for a day, then the next day head out with the Mamiya II and 3 lenses. What a difference! And I believe the lenses are sharper as well.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I was out shooting last night in China town... I took a Zeiss Ikon rangefinder with a 35mm and a Minolta film camera with a 85mm F1.4 Zeiss. both had the same film. I kept one camera in the bag and one out at a time. I found the rangefinder easier to carry since it's light weight, easier to focus as the light fell off and more enjoyable to use. The camera with the 85mm was a fair bit heavier... mostly the lens I know. After walking with the camera in my hand for a while I found myself switching back to the rangefinder because of the weight in the hand.

Overall I found one a joy to use and one a hassle. I also shot more frames with the rangefinder.

Rangefinders are not the answer to everything though and trying to force them to work as macro, product or with sports is an exercise in frustration.

Worth what you paid for it.
    -rob Skeoch
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    HI Mark, I understand about being afraid to use a RF! I have a MF and 4- 35mm's and all together they don't cost as much as a RF.
    I am not sur why but when I use the MF I feel like a real photographer...LOL! I have a nikon FE SLR and it is very lightweight and simple to use. RF's look very cool!!!
    The new Canon G10 looks like a RF and is very sophisticated. Certainly not a disposable.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    I am not sur why but when I use the MF I feel like a real photographer...LOL!
    I know the feeling.

Since we talked last I was really feeling the urge to get an RB but I had a 4x5 fall in my lap cheap.

The large format stuff is amazing.

I have a nikon FE SLR and it is very lightweight and simple to use. RF's look very cool!!!
    The new Canon G10 looks like a RF and is very sophisticated. Certainly not a disposable.
    At the end of the day Barry there are three things that really make a difference. The lens, the film, and you.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The main advantage of an RF, to me, is the normal 3D look through the always-bright VF.

I also like that my RF VFs are wider than the framelines so that I can see around the composition, which I find really helps me fine-tune the composition very quickly. It's bit like simply holding your fingers out to frame a scene... no lensing, no blackout of whatever won't be captured.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Keith, I understand that. My RB VF has that 3d look and has framelines and I really like that. I thought that the 3D was in my head but I guess not.
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    35mm
    Are the high end point & shoot digital cameras a modern version of the the rangefinder?
    While the focusing mechanisms (and construction) are very different, modern high-end point and shoots seem to be headed in the direction of appealing to the rangefinder user market.

Many people have used film rangefinders for candid street photography because they were small, quiet, produced high quality images even in low light, and were easy to use. Many newer point and shoot cameras (like the Lumix LX3) are designed to produce high quality images and offer the user plenty of control (such as traditional shooting modes like manual, aperture priority, shutter priority, program, RAW capture, manual focus, etc). The newer high end point and shoots are not as fast as the old rangefinders in terms of capturing the picture at the exact moment you press the shutter, but I believe they are working on this technology.

As far as using slower shutter speeds with a rangefinder, I was able to hand hold many shots at 1/15 and 1/30 with my Nikon S2 rangefinder and come up with sharp results. On the flip side, the vibration reduction control in my LX3 lets me shoot at slower speed hand held as well letting me get sharp results (not to mention its fast, sharp lens).

Here are two of my favorite "point and shoots"...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my point and shoots 1.jpg  
    Last edited by snegron; 05-09-2009 at 09:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That is really what I was trying to say. Nikon, Canon and Panasonic/Lumix with the 3 P&S that capture RAW seem to be aimed at the RF market. But as we know there is just something about film that can't be described!!! I am new to shooting film but already it has captured my imagination.
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    BTW following your other IR thread: A RF is also simple to use with IR photography because the very dark red IR filter is not disturbing you either.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin