Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,496   Posts: 1,543,030   Online: 868

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Loose strap lug on my OM 1 - can it still be used for a strap?

The right hand lug on one of my OM 1 's is quite loose. I'm not sure how the lug is attached to the body so I'm not sure if I can still use it to securely attach a wrist strap to the camera. Obviously, I don't want to risk my camera hitting the deck while I'm out shooting

I haven't been able to find any diagrams with enough detail in them to see if its screwed to the body or riveted etc. Is it still safe to use the lug as it is, or does it need tightening or replacing? Is it something that is easily fixed?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can't answer for the OM 1, but lugs are generally bolted on from the inside. Accessing them usually involves removing at least the top deck (and sometimes much more).

If it is only slightly loose, you could risk it, keeping a sharp eye open if it gets worse. But once the nut comes off the lug thread, it's free fall....
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Likewise can't answer for the OM1, but on Pentaxes of that vintage it's an easy job and it's probably cheaper than buying a new OM1. The "quite" before your "loose" has me worried - I'd fix it.

Steve

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I would take the top off or send it to a repairman, its a very small job to do.
    Once the lug comes out, the screw that holds it can come inbetween the film transport gearing, jamming things up.

If it is just a tad loose wach it, one it get worse get it fixed.

Peter

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hello,

I would be wary of using it that way. KEH fixed my Nikon F3 after a particularly nasty fall. You might consider sending it to them.
    Jeff M

M3, M5, CLE, Minolta XE7, Minolta Maxxum 9, Minolta Maxxum 9000, Nikon F3HP, etc., etc.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the replies. From what's been written I think it's better for me to get it fixed rather than run the risk of having it come off. I'll be putting it in for a CLA in a couple of months so I'll get the guy to fix it while he's got it in the workshop. In the meantime I can attach the strap to the left lug so it's not a big problem to work around for the time being.

Chaplain Jeff: I'm in Australia so it's probably not worth sending it all the way to KEH. Having said that, I'd really like to send my other OM 1 to John Hermanson but it has far too much sentimental value to run the risk of letting Australia Post get their grubby little paws on it !!!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Strap lug tightening is part of every overhaul I do. Considering how old the bodies are now, it is rather common, but an important fix. As another responder said, if the lug comes completely, the screw will float around inside and possibly find it's way to the magnet inside the meter housing (I have seen that too). John, www.zuiko.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In some cameras the lugs are riveted to the camera body -- if the lug is coming loose it means the flared part of the rivet is cracking and the lug needs replacement.

It is only a matter of time until a loose lug becomes a very loose lug and the camera ends up on the pavement.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can you find a "everready" case for it? Just use the bottom half and sew or rivet a strap to it. Might serve until you send in for the CLA in a few months.

Shooter
    35mm
    OM-1, 2, 3, 4 etc. strap lugs are held in with screws. OM-10., G (entry level models) are held in with a piece of metal staked into the hole. John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin