Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,874   Online: 1070

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    12X18, 8X12 and 11X14 printed full frame. The 12X18 and 8X12 are full frame to begin with. I like 8X10 to if I am okay with the cropping.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by nocrop View Post
    I'm curious what size you most often put up on walls when using 35mm film. For me, it's 8x10. I'm way behind on printing, so I thought I'd canvass the collective wisdom of APUG members before I embark on a big printing project later this summer.
    IMHO, there's no question of wisdom here. It's a matter of personal preference, combined with the question of where and how the print will be displayed. Do what you think looks good for your display area. If anybody disagrees, that's their problem.

The preceding comments presuppose, however, that you're making prints for your own use. If you intend to sell them, then the question of what the market wants is an important one. As I don't sell my prints, I can't comment on that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    18x24 cm when I want to scan the paper and put it on web.
    20x30 cm and 27x40 cm for putting them on wall.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for your responses. Your justifications for your choices are helpful. I'm strictly an amateur intent on pleasing myself and others via gift-giving. Srs5694, personal preference was exactly what I was interested in, together with the reasoning that went into those choices. My question may seem too open-ended--meaningless even--but I think your answers can be informative and useful. Printing is time-consuming and expensive and important, so I'd like to be able to have a solid plan before plowing ahead.

It seems to me that many amateur photographers don't put enough thought into displaying their work. Pros know better; even art students know better. I promise I won't open the can of worms relating to viewing space and lighting and framing choices.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oooooh...glad you didn't start the Matt Vs Glossy question .. I print whatever size takes my fancy to match the image when printing for myself, and often exhibition prints are a function of the viewing distance,and if an exhibit organised by the gallery/space hanging options etc have been set by them...with advice from me if the print will print to that size (never been bigger than 16x20 to date) for me. Rgds, Kal
    Kal Khogali

www.kal-khogali.com

Visit my Photo Scrap Book

www.shutteringeye.wordpress.com

"Wake up, dream, and photograph what you have seen.
    Don't wake up, photograph, and dream of what could have been."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It seems to me that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" might apply here. We're talking about art.
    Nothing is more destructive of the appreciation of art than someone else's idea of rules.

Larry
    Last edited by largely; 05-11-2009 at 10:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Okay, Larry, you're right! It is practically meaningless to ask. How about simple curiosity then?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm curious what size you most often put up on walls when using 35mm film. For me, it's 8x10. I'm way behind on printing, so I thought I'd canvass the collective wisdom of APUG members before I embark on a big printing project later this summer.

Variables welcome: traditional versus digital prints, gear, color/b&w, etc.

Cibas, black bordered 30x50 from Velvia 50, Velvia 100F or Provia 100F. Any bigger prints than this are even more expensive to matt and frame. I've done just one to 50x75 in February - a size that is just about the limit for me when viewing a 35mm image without pronounced 'fuzziness' of the smaller format image. Compared to 30x50, that much larger size is not as good, but the client liked it.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [...]

It seems to me that many amateur photographers don't put enough thought into displaying their work. Pros know better; even art students know better.[...]
    Oh, do the pros ever!
    Mind you, many art students struggle to put food on the table with what money they get; it wasn't an easy existence for me and it still isn't.

Without exhibiting or showing their skills in their work, there is no food on table, no petrol in the car, no money for bills... Taking an holistic approach to quality imaging from visualising the image in-camera to printing and framing and then 'getting word out', but it is a hard slog.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Postcard, which is 100x150mm paper, is great for small personal prints that you may wish to send anywhere in the world via the postal systems. Plus Ilford postcard stock, is on a thicker than normal base.

5"x7" paper is great for a brag book that you can carry around, plus it is about the minimum size you can hang on a wall and still be looked at without having to stand too close to.

8"x10" paper is a staple format, full frame 35mm stuff centred with a smaller gap top and bottom than the sides, actually looks quite nice in a frame. I've been using this for a little while for my personal stuff at the suggestion of the missus and it works.

A4 format is really the better of the smaller paper sizes for hanging on a wall. The proportions very closely match 35mm and A4 frames are everywhere, so the choice is great.

After that I use 12"x16" paper which doesn't really match the neg proportions, but looks great from a distance.

These are the sizes I use for my own work to hang up in my own place. If I was to suggest a minimal outlay situation with the greatest possibility, it would be 8"x10" paper.

Apart from what I have already mentioned with this paper size, if you split it in half and print to 5"x8" then you get two prints that are virtually full frame proportionally. This size is the most popular print size with my extended family and friends.

A Jobo Varioformat easel is designed to allow you to do wonderful croppings with various paper sizes, with 8"x10" paper and this easel, you have about the most versatile printing system around.

There are other variable format easels, but I have never seen one as good as the Jobo Varioformat for simplicity and ease of use.

Mick.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin