Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,712   Online: 918

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Your Preferred Print Size for 35mm for Display?

I'm curious what size you most often put up on walls when using 35mm film. For me, it's 8x10. I'm way behind on printing, so I thought I'd canvass the collective wisdom of APUG members before I embark on a big printing project later this summer.

Variables welcome: traditional versus digital prints, gear, color/b&w, etc.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    for me, the image determines the size.

i tend to use either 16x20 or 14x18 frames. window cut to fit the image
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Images
    Most common for me is 5x7 on an 11x14 mat, then 6x9 on the same size mat.

For viewing prints in hand and stored in a box, I lean to 5x7 or smaller on an 8x10 board.

Shooter
    35mm
    5x7 as far as I'm concerned. No more space on walls!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    anywhere between 2x3 ( or so ) inches
    and 5x7 printed on an 8x10 sheet.

i have printed larger in the past,
    but find small photos to fit my work better ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My standard size for 35mm is 8x10, whether it's for holding in the hand or putting on the wall, but when I do exhibits I print at 11x14 because the pictures are seen from farther away and that's the biggest I can print. I would probably do 16x20 for exhibits if I had the easel for it (someday...).
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    5"x7" on an 8"x10" sheet if it's going to be hung. 5"x7" on a 5"x7" sheet when it will be handled.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It depends on how big I want the print to be, as I don't decide my print size based on my negative size. However, 6x9 and 8x12 seem to be the most common for me. I am very fond of 8x12 and 12x18. I think the image starts to "break up" very nicely at that point; especially with a 400 film. OTOH, for a book I am working on, prints range from contact-sheet size to a 20-inch double truck.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 05-11-2009 at 03:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of the problems with the 24x36mm format is that it is has become so normal to millions of people that they routinely accept prints which are much too big for the size of the source negative. In other words, they think that these grainly, overblown prints look good, because they have come to accept work of inferior technical quality as normal. It is only a matter of time before someone claims in this thread that any size print from 35mm is acceptable if the artist likes it, with claims about 16x20 and larger prints from 35mm which supposedly looked excellent. Just wait and see if it isn't true!
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    It is only a matter of time before someone claims in this thread that any size print from 35mm is acceptable if the artist likes it, with claims about 16x20 and larger prints from 35mm which supposedly looked excellent. Just wait and see if it isn't true!
    ...and those "claimants" would be absolutely correct. Things that are "inferior technical quality" to some people are excellent tools to others. There's no such thing as plainly-and-simply "too big" a print from a film format. There is only "too big" to get the qualities you would like to have. For lots of things, I deliberately shoot small format when I intend to make a big print. What's it to you?

The question was what sizes do we normally print. So, what sizes do you normally print?
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 05-11-2009 at 03:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin