Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,716   Posts: 1,514,768   Online: 797

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Olympus XA Self-timer Glitch

I hope a fellow XA owner can provide some help on this. I have both an XA and an XA2. Recently, after deliberately using the self-time on the XA (no problem) it now uses a self-timer mode even if the self-time hasn't been selected/set. The odd part is, if I actually use the self-timer, I get about 17 beeps before the shutter trips. With the self-timer 'off' it self-times anyway, but only 10 beeps worth. It doesn't matter what f-stop or shutter speed, it's always the same.. 10 beeps, then the shutter trips. Anyone have a suggestion or is this just the end for this little cam? I really like it, so I'm hoping there is a solution. Thanks in advance.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    35mm
    Your XA has a bad circuit board. Either cracked ceramic or bad IC. Another fatal XA defect is getting exposures of 10-15 seconds no matter what the camera is set to. John,

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Before you write it off, give the battery contacts a clean. They can do a lot of weird things with dirty contacts, though I have not come across that one before.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hermanson View Post
    Your XA has a bad circuit board. Either cracked ceramic or bad IC. Another fatal XA defect is getting exposures of 10-15 seconds no matter what the camera is set to. John,
    Sob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are not alone in mourning your loss. My now defunct XA does all sorts of things right, except trip the shutter. I have tried all of the web tips about button deformed etc all to no avail. I will be scouting the spring camera show later this month in the hope of a replacement.

I had a Trip 35 that went south, and found a replacement for it at last years spring show for the grand fee of $5.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess I'm down to my XA2 for my 'toss in a pocket' cam... until I can find another XA.

I just developed the roll of film that was in the XA, Tmax 400. Looks pretty good exposure-wise so at least the shutter remains pretty accurate. Just have to reserve it for situations where I can wait 10 secs. for it to trip.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suppose it's a bit gauche to put a plug for an XA among the misery of others, but my own XA has been collecting dust for a long time and I would be glad to find a happy user.

Caveat: The rewind knob is broken, but if you can scavenge one from another XA, it is a 5 minute job to replace (The reason I stopped using it long, long ago).

Caveat 2: If there is interest, I'll need to check it out to see if it still works (apart from the rewind knob).

Shipping from Europe.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    I suppose it's a bit gauche to put a plug for an XA among the misery of others, but my own XA has been collecting dust for a long time and I would be glad to find a happy user.
    A good idea. I gave away three XA2s last year because I already had an XA. I can't find it now though!

Steve.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin