Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,117   Online: 950

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It has never bothered me on any of my cameras. Canon F-1/FTb and Nikon F are what I have. I have used it quite a bit on the F-1 in lieu of a cable release, along with mirror lockup. In fact, I find its location and design on the Canons to be very smart. Certainly ten times better than the Nikon F, which will cannot lock in manual aperture/DOF mode, and which has a mirror lockup that confused me to this day. (I just don't use it.) Normally I don't like combined multi-function controls, but in this case it is well designed and easy to use all the functions either together or separately. It is not anywhere near the "grip area" for me, as the one fellow above stated. I have to reach in quite a ways to hit the D of F preview.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 05-12-2009 at 06:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Exakta had an interesting design for the self timer. The VX had 2 shutter speed dials. One for fast speeds and one for slow speeds. The self timer is on the slow dial marked in red and could be used for exposures up to 6 seconds. Totally mechanical and a bit archaic but I still use 3 of them. Very solid engineering from the early 50's.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I used the self timer along with mirror lock on the Nikon F quite a bit especially with fisheye lenses and for night exposures. Worked very well and the location never ever gave me a problem or concern. I used the feature on the Leica M3 much less often but I do miss it on the M6 and M7!-Dick

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree with you that, especially in some Nikon models, that lever was not at the best place. Nikon corrected this on the F3 when the lever was placed at the base of the shutter speed dial. But, that wasn't good enough (to me) because that tiny lever is extremely hard to operate for normal-sized fingers. The Nikon engineers must have small hands...

Shooter
    35mm
    I shoot with Nikon FM, Leica M3, and Canon New F-1 most of the time, and the self-timer lever position has never been an issue for me.

Meanwhile, the reason I don't really feel comfortable using SLR type AF cameras whether film or digital, is that they have way too many bottons and whatever on their bodies...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Self-timers only really bother me when they don't work. In my experience many Japanese TLRs have non-functioning ones.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The self timer on my F-1 and FTb was never a concern for me. It might be a problem but I never used it much.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When it comes to self-timer placement/location, the self-timer on the Olympus Pen-FT is exactly where it should be. High, out-of-the-way, easily seen and accessible. Of course this camera exemplifies what can be created when pure genius is allowed to flourish unabated.

http://www.cameraquest.com/olypenf.htm
    http://www.dantestella.com/technical/penf.html
    Last edited by DannL; 05-14-2009 at 04:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Lo único de lo que el mundo no se cansará nunca es de exageración." Salvador Dalí

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have never had any problem... apart from my Nikon FM2n; so much so that I took it off and fabricated a smaller one which my fingers did not touch. Strange had no problems with a Nikon F or F2 which I have brought since them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    funny, I like where they're located, wish modern cameras had a button for it there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin