Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,847   Posts: 1,582,795   Online: 789

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Whats the E. F. and G. mean in Olympus Zuiko lenses?

Whats the E. F. and G. mean in Olympus Zuiko lenses?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As i remember, the number of elements (A = 1, B = 2, etc.).
    Could be wrong though.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi,

This was the nomenclature used on the early (typically so-called silver-nosed) series of OM lenses, produced in the seventies. The letter simply indicates the number of glass elements used in the lens construction, e.g.

• E = 5 elements
    • F = 6 elements
    • G = 7 elements

The later series of lenses (often with minor or no optical changes apart from better multicoating of the elements, and without the chrome front rings) dropped this nomenclature.

P.S. Olympus enthusiasts often prefer the earlier silver-nosed lenses because they have lower contrast, making them better suited for black and white photography (to retain shadow details better).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for the info!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by philosomatographer View Post
    Hi,
    P.S. Olympus enthusiasts often prefer the earlier silver-nosed lenses because they have lower contrast, making them better suited for black and white photography (to retain shadow details better).
    I also find them to be an advantage when shooting Velvia for the same reasons. Nearly all of my Zuikos are of the silver-nosed version. When given a choice, though, take the latest version of the 24/2.8 and the 50s for flare control.

AG Schnozz
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken N View Post
    I also find them to be an advantage when shooting Velvia for the same reasons. Nearly all of my Zuikos are of the silver-nosed version. When given a choice, though, take the latest version of the 24/2.8 and the 50s for flare control.

AG Schnozz
    Hi Ken,

It's probably for the same reason. Velvia always seems punchier and more contrasty than most slide film and the slightly reduced contrast might just be helping to avoid blocked-out shadows.

I have a 50/f1.4 in both silver and black nose varieties - so I'll check and see if it does make a difference when I next have a roll of Velvia in my OM's.

Paul.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin